4) ❝I Feel Special❞

[Rigby's POV]

As the days went by, Mordecai and I became closer. It was weird. Its like... We just met a few days ago, yet it feels like we've known each other for years. He's a really good friend... To be honest, I think it's time to stop denying that he's all I have left in this world. If he could just give me another reason to live... Or a reason at all... Then maybe, just maybe I would be happy...

Mordecai got back in the truck and looked at me. "A few more hours, and we'll be in California. Are you ready to see if you can find what you're missing?" He asked. I looked down and nodded. "Yeah. I'm ready," I replied, looking up at him and giving him a small smile. Mordecai smiled back and got ready to start the car. I quickly grabbed his arm, stopping him. "Wait, Mordecai," I said.

Mordecai looked at me and raised a brow. "Yes?" He said. I gulped and gripped onto his sleeve. "I... I just want to thank you for doing this for me. I know I've probably been really annoying and a distraction to you, but... I don't mean to. I get that I'm not the greatest person in the world, but I just want to thank--"

Mordecai quickly leaned in and pressed his lips to mine, causing my eyes to widen. He slowly pulled away and gave me a small smile. "Don't mention it. I've been having a lot of fun with you, Rigby. You're not just a stranger to me anymore... You're actually a good friend. Sure, you're a little selfish and annoying at times, but you have an amazing personality... Now... Let's get you to California, alright?" He said. I felt my cheeks heat up, causing him to grin at me, then start up the car.

He just kissed me... I'm straight! That wasn't supposed to happen! Yet I really liked it. It wasn't a full on kiss, just a little peck, but it was the best peck I've ever gotten-- Holy fuck, what am I saying!? I didn't enjoy that! I couldn't have! That's gay-- That's... That's... That was nice. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Do I actually have feelings for Mordecai? I couldn't. We barely know each other... But... He is the only one whose cared about me these past few days.

I hugged myself and looked out the window, trying to make sure he wouldn't see my face, which was probably a bright red. God, this is so embarrassing. "We've got one more stop before we can finally just head on to California. I want to take you somewhere. We'll stay in a hotel tonight, then--"

"Great! That's fine by me. Let's go!" I said, covering my mouth, blushing more. Mordecai licked his lips and smiled at me, shaking his head. "Silly," he said, heading away from the gas station.

It didn't take us long to get to our next destination, which was somewhere in Utah. We went ahead and got us a hotel room with two beds this time. As we left all of our bags at the hotel, Mordecai started leading us to a place. I don't know where we were going, but I figured it was a cool place for him to take pictures.

"We're here," Mordecai said. I sat up in my seat and looked out the window, gasping when I realized we were at a zoo. "Why are we--"

"I remember you telling me the other day about how much you love animals and stuff. And I felt bad because we couldn't go to the zoo in the other states we were in, so I thought I'd take you to one now. Plus, I could get some good shots of animals... But this is mainly just to hang out with you--"

"Wait, wait... You're doing this to mainly spend time with me?" I asked, causing Mordecai to smile. "Well... Yeah. Is that bad?" He asked. I smiled a little and shook my head. "No... Thank you," I said. Mordecai nodded and opened up the door. "Let's go," he said, getting out of the truck. I stayed in there for a few more seconds just smiling to myself. Mordecai was nice.

I got out of the truck and followed Mordecai to the entrance of the zoo. We had to pay fifteen dollars for each person, and I felt bad that Mordecai was once again paying for me... But like he said, I don't have the money to do it myself.