Chapter 1~ Before The Scouts

"...8...9...10! Ready or not here I come!" Little 9 year old Eren chanted before searching for (Y/n).

The two young children were playing a game of hide and seek in their small, peaceful village of Shiganshina. (Y/n) was hiding behind a large oak tree, quietly giggling to herself as she heard her best friend run off towards the opposite direction from where she was standing. When (Y/n) thought the coast was clear, she decided to run off to a new location to make it harder for Eren to find her. However, when she turned around to run, Eren popped out of nowhere and tagged her.

"Found you!" Eren chanted as the two of them laughed. They then began to chase each other around, having fun adventures and making sweet memories like any other kid would at their age.

Once they both settled down, they laid upon the fresh green blades of grass in the field, trying to catch their breath from all of the running. (Y/n) and Eren rested next to each other, resting on their elbows as they began making pictures out of the clouds above. They pointed out how one of the clouds looked like Mikasa, a horse, and one of a scary Titan.

When you brought up the topic about Titans, Eren's face got all scrunched up in fury. You looked at him carefully, somewhat regretting the topic of choice before he turned around to face you. His teal eyes were boring into yours, a flicker of anger ran through his eyes as his facial expression grew serious. You felt a tad uncomfortable with the new atmosphere as you turned your gaze away and stared back up at the bright blue sky.

"I'm sorry for bringing them up," you apologized as a frown began to form upon your lips.

Eren glanced at you before letting out a sigh and laying back down, facing the sky just like you were. After a few silent moments, you were going to change the topic until Eren gained some newfound energy and spoke up first.

"(Y/n), when I grow up... I'm want to be in the Survey Corps..." Eren breathed out as he clenched his small hands into fists. You turned your head to look at him worriedly, your face turning pale at his words.

"Eren, don't it's too dangerous! W-what if you become a Scout and you die!?" You cried out as you sat up and hugged Eren. Eren sat back up and returned your hug just as tightly before speaking up.

"I want to see what's outside of these walls," Eren said as he pointed out towards the tall, tan cement wall that barricaded Shiganshina. "I want to keep people safe from the Titans like your parents did," Eren replied softly, letting go of his tight grip on you. "I know it's dangerous, but I want to be like those heroes too! I'm going to train my very hardest, so I could protect you, Mikasa, Armin, mom, dad, and everyone from those monsters!"

In the heat of the moment from Eren's strong determination, all you could do was cry as Eren continued to tell you about how badly he wanted to become a Scout.

Your parents were both the highest ranked Captains and have protected people within the walls for a long time. All of the Scouts, Cadets and civilians have looked up to them as their heroes and mentors from day one. Though having your parents being the greatest Scouts of all time may be a plus, unfortunately for you, it was lonely. Your parents were rarely ever home and when they were, it would only be for a short day or so before they would have to leave again. The Jaeger family were the only people who were there to take care of you when your parents were gone, having Eren and Mikasa as your closest friends. You just didn't want another person who was close to you leave you to become a Scout.

After Eren's speech, you let out a depressed sigh as you spoke up weakly, peering back up towards Eren.

"I understand," you spoke up with a slight shakiness in your voice, but your eyes portrayed a sense of acceptance and support.

The moment those words left your mouth, Eren froze in surprise as he turned to face you. "Y-you do?!" he asked stuttering shyly.

"Yeah, I know it's something important to you. I'll support your decision on one condition," you suggested as Eren continued to stare at you in complete shock.

"Y-yeah s-sure, (Y/n). What is it?!" Eren asked, willing to do anything since you were the one and only person to actually support his decision.

"Don't die," you replied with hot tears beginning to stream down your face. "Please be safe Eren, and don't forget about me."

Eren hugged you again tightly, not wanting to let go as he responded softly into your shoulder.

"I promise."