Chapter 3~ This Is It

I knocked on the door and waited for her to respond. I was currently standing outside of Hanji's lab, waiting impatiently to break the news to her. If someone was to be the first to find out that I'm leaving, I wanted it to be her. I lifted my fist to knock on the door once more, but before I could, the door flew open.

"Hey (Y/n)! What did Levi talk to you about?" Hanji asked smiling brightly. I ran into her arms and hugged her tightly. She was taken aback by the gesture, but wrapped her arms around me with a frown on her face. "What's wrong, (Y/n)?" She asked as I slowly let go of her.

"I'm going to be leaving Headquarters tomorrow afternoon," I said with a sad smile on my face. Hanji's face dropped and her eyes went wide in shock, then turned into a forced smile.

"That's what you wanted, right?" Hanji asked. "You're coming back, so there's nothing to worry about," She said with hope in her voice.

"It is what I've wanted for the longest time. I'm going to try my hardest, but if I fail, I don't know if I'll see you again for a few years," I responded as my smile turned into a straight line. Hanji then brought me into another hug as she gently rubbed my back.

"Don't say that. You're the toughest girl I know, right next to Petra. I'm going to miss you a lot, (Y/n). We all will," Hanji confessed as she pulled away and rubbed my back in circular motions. I gained the courage to put on a bright smile as I grabbed both of Hanji's hands.

"I'm going to miss you too, Hanji. I'll try to be back real soon." We both gave each other one last hug before I headed to my room to finish packing my necessities.

When I got to my room, I opened the door and started thinking about how tonight would be the last night that I would be sleeping on the firm mattress for possibly a long time. I dragged my feet as I slowly started packing. I shoved all of my belongings into a bag and put it by the door on the wooden floor.

"Welp. This is it," I sighed as I took one last look at the now half empty room. I felt the sudden feeling of fatigue and decided to start preparing to go to bed.

Tomorrow would be a big day.

🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀

You were laying under a big tree that was on a hill a few miles away from the base. You looked up at the sky and was daydreaming about your future and about the little happy things in life. You were taken in by the beautiful nature around you and you finally felt at ease for the first time in a long time. You then sensed someone's presence behind you, but for some unknown reason, it seemed like the presence was comforting in a way that couldn't be explained. You looked up at the clouds and pointed out to one that was distinctive from the rest.

"I see a flower, but one that I've never really seen before. Like one of those red Poppy flowers in Armin's grandfather's book," you described in awe as you watched the cloud float across the open sky.

"You know what I see?" The person asked behind you. You stayed silent still looking up at the sky waiting for the person to continue. "I see the girl I fell in love with over and over again since the first day that I've met her," the person confessed in a soft, loving voice. At those words, you blushed madly and turned away shyly.

As you laid there, you felt the person lay next to you and hold your hand, intertwining their fingers with yours. It felt so right and you didn't bother looking over your shoulder to see who it was. Something about this person made you feel happy and safe. You just smiled brightly and squeezed their hand back.

🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀

The Sun peeked through my window as I woke up with a smile on my face and I itched my groggy (e/c) eyes. I peeled the blanket away as I climbed off of the worn out mattress. I was happy that I finally got a good night of rest and no nightmare which was extremely rare. The dream last night actually made me feel really relaxed and comfortable which I haven't felt in what feels like forever.

Odd.

I walked to the dresser about to grab my uniform until I opened the drawer, realizing that it was completely empty. I then remembered that I packed all of my belongings last night before falling asleep. I went to my bag and grabbed a pair of clothes to wear on my travel. I put my (h/l) (h/c) hair in a side braid and changed into the clothes that I was going to wear on my journey. I grabbed the door knob and left my room for the what could be the last time in a long time.

I decided to head down to the Mess Hall to grab a quick breakfast before I leave. Once I walked in, a flash of colorful confetti and party poppers were the only things I could see.

"SURPRISE!" Everyone shouted as they threw more confetti at me and blew into their paper party items. I was startled at first, but a wide smile was plastered onto my face.

"What's this for?" I asked out loud as I looked around the room. Everything was decorated with streamers and balloons, gifts were on a table and there were signs saying, 'Farewell, (Y/n)! We will miss you' and 'Good luck, (Y/n)!'

"This is a farewell party for you, (Y/n)," one of the Scouts answered shyly.

"We're all going to miss you so much," another Scout shouted.

"Thank you all so much," I thanked as I went around the room hugging everyone as they said how much they were going to miss me dearly.

The little party was really fun and it lifted a little bit of my stress off of my shoulders. I opened some of the bags that people gave to me as farewell gifts which I thought was unnecessary but I was grateful for anyways. I received a few cards, letters, food, and (not to my surprise) tissues and hand sanitizer by a certain "you know who".

Unfortunately, it wasn't long before Captain Levi had to pull me away from the party and tell me that a carriage and horse was ready to go. I said my "thank you"s and "goodbye"s to everyone as I walked out towards the carriage that would lead me to the path of becoming an official Scout.