The Beginning: Chapter One

A sound.
A creak.
A whisper.
A ripple in the unmoving waters separating life from death.

This woke the woman from her undisturbed sleep.

She rose from her warm sheets, staring up at the moonlit ceiling before looking out the open window, a breeze lifting the curtains.

With it she heard a flurry of whispers, voices that carried with the wind from the window. Voices that she should never hear for years to come. Only in another place. Another time.

There was a boundary between the dead, the living, and those that wandered the Earth for eternity.

The veil.

It was protected and hidden, never meant to be messed with or altered.

But she could tell, something was very, very wrong.

She felt pressure on her shoulders, feelings of those lost suddenly returning.

This only happened, if the veil... was pierced.

"Aunt Bree?" A small, groggy voice called out, causing the woman to turn towards the open door. She smiled at the sight of the teenager, who was rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "I heard voices, and I-I thought—"

"It's fine, Victoria. You can go back to sleep, darling." Bree waved her off, turning back to face the teen with a weary smile.

Victoria nodded, leaving her adoptive mother to herself, and the brooding truth that was settling in.