Chapter Three

Cade's POV

There was a knock on my door at ten to noon, an unusual time but I let the person come in anyway.

"It's open!" I called.

"Hello, son."

I looked up from my computer, my face showing no emotion. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you, son."

"Don't call me that! You lost that privilege a long time ago."

"I raised you, Cade and I adopted you when you were still a baby. I can call you my son."

I stood up, angered. "You were the cause of my teenage rebellion and you know it! After mum went crazy, you started working more!"

"To care for you!" He cut me off.

"You left me alone at home, Scott! I didn't have anyone parenting me! Mum was locked in her room all day and you never let me go see Mike and El!"

"You didn't want to, Cade!"

"Yes I did! I asked you all the time but you told me you couldn't afford it! I know you were lying so I don't know why you keep pulling that crap card! Why the fuck are you here?"

"Don't use that tone with me, Cade!"

"I will because you're in my building, inside my office!"

"I want you to step down."

"Why? So you can take over? I don't think so!"

"No, I have someone else in mind."

"It's not going to happen so go away."

"You're too focused on drinking and partying, Cade. You're not focused. You don't even have a steady girl."

"A steady girl? What is this? The fifty's? Scott, I run a company! I don't have time for a girlfriend! I barely have time for my daughter!" I instantly put a hand over my mouth and regretted telling him.

"Your what?"

I sighed. "I have a daughter. She's five."

"No you don't."

"Y-yes I do, Scott. She lives in London with her grandparents."

"Who is her mother?"

"My late wife." I cringed saying it out loud.

Scott sat back and stared at me. "Cade, when were you married? Is this when you were in the Royal Navy?"

I nodded. "Yeah. We got married right before I left."

"Where is she now?"

"She died after she gave birth. She had cancer."

"Why am I just hearing about this now?" His voice was raised.

"Scott, I'm not having this conversation right now."

"Answer me, Cade!" He ignored me.

"No!"

"Cade!"

"NO!"

"CADE!"

"I suppressed the memories, Scott! I forgot about her okay!? I couldn't bear to live without Lilly so I forgot about Marcy! I was reminded two and a half years ago!"

"Have you gone to see her? Have you made an effort?"

I stepped around the desk and opened the door. "I'd like you to leave. I can't do this right now. I'm mad that I even told you. Get out."

He barely moved.

"I mean it! Get out! I have work to do!"

Scott stood and left the room without another word.

I called Nic as I headed toward my secretary's desk.

"Hey mate. What are you doing right now?" He asked.

"Um, calling you. Scott is here."

"I know. I'm on my way to come see you."

"Why?"

"He came to my office first. He wants me to take over for you."

I groaned. "Nic, I need you to go to London with me. I don't know what Scott has planned but I can guarantee its not good."

"Of course, Cade. Anything."

"Okay, I'll meet you at my place in an hour."

"Okay."

I hung up and dialed Josie and asked her to come to my office.

"Cade?" Josie walked in five minutes later.

"Can you handle my office til Wednesday?"

Her eyes went wide. "What?"

"C'mon Jos, you're the only one I can trust."

"Me? What about Luke?"

"Luke has his own shit to handle. C'mon, please? My secretary can help you!"

"Did you talk to Sam?" She asked worriedly.

"No, but I will. I promise. Please, Jos. I feel bad enough for taking Nic with me. Please help?"

Her face softened and she walked over to me. Her arms wrapped around my waist. She's the only girl I'll let hug me. I can't even let my own sister hug me. My arms rested on her shoulders.

"Please, Josie?"

She nodded. "Okay. I'll do my best."

I kissed her cheek, "Thank you, lovely! I'll call you from the plane alright?"

"Okay."

I walked out of my office and she followed me out. I gave her a look. "Where are you going?"

"Well, you didn't tell me to bring my shit so I have to go get that and since you're stealing my fiancé I have to go get Addie from Luke's office."

"Fiancé?" I asked as we stepped into the elevator.

She nodded and showed me her hand.

"Ah!" I smiled. "I recognize that."

"You do?" She asked quizzically.

"Mmhmm, I went with him. Little shit can't do much on his own when it comes to girls."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh geez."

I chuckled, "Just kidding, but seriously, he was so excited to buy it."

"Well, I'm glad he did."

The elevator reached the bottom floor. I turned to Josie. "Thanks again, lovely. I'll see you in a few days." I ran off toward the car park.

"You owe me, Tommo!" She called.

I chuckled and yelled back, "I know!"