Chapter Nine

Josie's POV

I went downstairs and took the grocery bags to the kitchen. I was just about done getting everything out for dinner when I felt someone's presence behind me.

I turned to surprisingly find Elise sitting at the counter. "Hi."

She smiled, "Hey Josie."

"How's it going?"

"Look," She got straight to the point, "I appreciate everything you've done for Nic and Addie. I really do. I don't want you to think I'm upset. After all I did suggest you call him."

"Thanks, El. You really do have a wonderful daughter. She's the best."

"Thank you."

It got silent as I started the oven preheating and put the chicken breasts in the pan.

"Can you tell me what happened between you and Sam?" I asked quickly.

"I should have guessed Nic told you."

I nodded. "Yeah. Sorry. We just tell each other everything out of habit now."

El shrugged, "It's not a big deal I guess. Um, basically, Sam wants to move to Dublin but I'm not sure I want to. It's a comfort thing and the house in Kinnegad is comfortable."

The oven dinged and I put the chicken in. While starting some frozen vegetables, I replied. "I won't lie. I'm kind of in a similar predicament. My work contract for Dublin ends March first. Which means March second I'm on a ten am flight to London and a five pm flight to LA. Sure Nic proposed, but now I have to decide which is more important, my job or my fiancé."

"Which are you picking?" She asked.

"See? That's the thing. It's not a pick and choose situation. Its more like I have to decide how much time I want to spend away from the person I love." I met her gaze and sighed, "Look, Elise. I know you've had a hell of a few years. But you fought for Addie and essentially fought for Benny. Isn't it time you fight for Sam? I know you love him because you wouldn't have married him if you didn't. Sam is a great guy. He's also a great boss but that's beside the point." She chuckled. "Anyway, if you don't be with him and love him, then he'll find someone else and you'll have to just be okay with it."

Elise sighed, "What if I'm done fighting?"

That caught me by surprise. "For who?"

"For everyone?"

"Well then you're just plain stupid. Sorry for being blunt. But you have two beautiful children that deserve their mother. Don't even think like that, okay? You went to rehab already. You're better now, right?"

She nodded. "Well, yeah."

"Then love them, damn it. Love them with all your heart. Nic and I won't make it impossible for you to see Addie and be in her life. We wouldn't dream of that. And Benny relies on you for so much because you're with him constantly."

"So I should probably move here then?"

I nodded. "Probably."

"Thank you, Josie."

"Yeah. Not a problem."

***

The next morning.

"Nic! Get up!" I yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"Already dressed!" He replied.

"Then where are you?! I have to get to work early! You've got school drop off today!"