Chapter Eleven

Ed's POV

I sat at the bar, still from earlier waiting for everyone to come back. I had paused drinking and instead ordered a small appetizer. The waitress, a girl who is usually always here, came and went a few times, but seemed very quiet.

When she came to refill my water, I put a hand on her arm. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Usually when I come in here you're very energetic."

She nodded. "I'm okay." She went to pull away.

"Wait." She turned and faced me and that's when I saw the tear stains on her cheeks. I placed my fingers under her chin and lifted her head gently to look at me. "Why are you crying?"

"It's nothing." She replied softly.

"Please tell me."

She shook her head and another tear slipped from her eye. "I-I need to get back to work."

I wiped away the tear. "What's your name?"

"Allie."

"Allie, I'm Ed. Are you sure I can't help you?"

She nodded and pulled away gently. "Yes, I'm sure. Thank you though." Allie quickly walked away and back into the kitchen. I watched and waited for her to come out again but she didn't for a long time.

When she did emerge, her make-up had been fixed and she was smiling; but I could see in her eyes that she was still hurting for some reason.

When Luke and Casey showed up, they ordered nachos. Allie came over to the table and took the order. As she walked off, I got up and followed her.

"Allie!" She turned around to face me.

"I'm sorry, Ed. I need to get this order in."

"Can we talk?"

She shook her head. "I have to work. I'm sorry."

I went back to the table and sat down. Luke noticed my frown.

"What's up, mate?"

"The waiter was crying earlier. I was just trying to see if I can help her, but she's too busy to talk."

Luke and Casey looked at each other and then Casey spoke up. "Allie, right?"

I nodded.

"She was talking with a guy out front when we got here. He was pretty upset at her but before he left, he kissed her and she seemed fine."

"Was he yelling at her?" They nodded. "Was she crying?"

Casey shook his head. "No, but it seemed like they were just working out something."

"She was full-on crying earlier, mate. I wish I could help her."

"We know you do." Luke said softly. "Maybe it's nothing though."

"Yeah. Maybe."

The rest of the gang showed up and the first round of drinks were on Nic after he announced Josie's new position as Sam's assistant.

After the round, Luke nudged me. "Alright, Ed. Your turn. This one is on me."

I sat up and looked at Josie since she's the only one who didn't know. "I got a job working for Luke."

Her face lit up, "Really!? That's amazing Ed! Congrats!"

"Thanks."

Just then Nic tapped my arm. "Mate."