Chapter 12: The Search, The Rescue, The More Questions

Fighting after being thrown at a tree by Eric is not as easy as one could have though. My back in torn up, bleeding quite bad, and a knife in my side after a few attacks from the back. The only weapon that I have is the hidden blades, and there was only one left. Flexing my legs as one of the last standing attacks me I jump up and pull my self up onto a branch, watching as the attacker runs face first into the tree. I drop down onto him digging the knife into the back of his head and feeling as his body goes limp. I stand up straight and rotate my wrist. Fighting for over 2 hours was something that I have never done before, quite frankly hope to never do again. I look around and swear under my breath. Over a hundred assassins were dead in the ground and only a dozen or so were still standing, but badly hurt. Edward and a girl in a black cloak and beautiful bright orange hair are already walking around helping those who can be helped and trying to find more survivors. 

                 "Ughhh." I turn my head towards the spot where the cabin stood. Among all the debris several planks slightly move. I bolt that way, but the moment that I  take my second step with my right leg I collapse.

               "Are you alright?" I turn my head to see the girl. I thought that her hair was pretty, but i instantly changed my mind when i saw her eyes. Imagine the color or sky on a clear day, now brighten it up several more shades and there you have it. The most blue color eyes that there is, was looking right at me. Tilting her head a little she asks again, "Are you alright?"

               That snapped me back into reality. "Ugh... Yes? I think." I force my self to look away from her towards the pile of wood and stone. "Can you call Edward over there? Please?" I turn to look at her but she was already headed towards Edward, who was pulling a sword out of the knee of one of the assassins. Edward looks up just as she approaches, looks at me and instantly stands up. The girl tell him something and he jogs over to where I sit.

               "You good Edgar?" He looks at me, then looks down for a second, "Why do i even ask anymore? Can you ever not be in a near death situation?"

               "That's on Tuesdays usually. Anyway, help me over to that pile over there." I point to where the once moving piles were. Edward turns his head, then looks at me, then at my ankle.

               "Alright," He grabs my arm and helps me up, "Lets see what is so important over there." Supporting me as we walk, we come up to the pile. I push off Edward and climb up the pile of rubbish. Reaching the spot where I saw movement I start to dig. Right me behind me i hear Edward climbing up, and seconds later both of us are moving boulders and logs. I do it mostly sitting, thanks ankle... After over five minutes of digging I find the person who i was looking for, but that was not someone who I expected to see alive at this point. The person was under the pile of wood and rocks for who knows how long, yet he were breathing.

               "Leonard!" I yell out. Every assassin in the camp looks up to that name. Those who can walk rush over to us and help us dig him out. After about an hour,  his body is completely free and Edward picks him up and carries him out to the field. The only bed left standing was in the far end of the camp and once we place him on the bed the girl and one of the younger assassins start to work on his wounds.  All of the assassins go off, some go off to find more survivors and start to bring them to current medical spot, some ran into the city looking for trusted doctors, and the rest started a looting/rebuilding process, and we only got about 16 people who are capable of doing anything. A very slow process starts around the camp.

               "Do you think he will make it?" I say as we walk over to a tree stump and unfold the map.

               "I'm not sure, but the girl seems to know what she is doing, some of the assassins have gone off to find doctors, so that will help." He stops, "But why would Eric bother to come all the way here, just to lose such a large amount of troops?"

               "I wish I could have gotten here faster, we could have..." I get cut off as one of the younger assassins comes over to me.

              "Sir, we found this among the enemy assassins. The ones with the dark cloaks had this," He opens his hand showing a crows feather, a long one, "and some of the white cloaks had this." With the other hand he hold up a Templar Order amulet.

              "That's the..." I start to say but then stop. Edward and I exchange glances. Edward is working with the Crows and the Templars. But why...

               "Thank you. Look for more of these. Anyone with these objects, carry them over to the broken cabin. And collect all the amulets bringing them to us." Edward says sending the kid off. "This is not good, but it explains a lot. The Templar Order is behind Oscars death, and the raid on our camp. They are trying to take care of all the creeds that could get in their way. If we didn't make it here, this place would be gone as well."

                "I guess..." I look a the amulet again. "We need someone with a lot of skill and knowledge. Anyone who has gone against the Order that you can think of?" I look up at him looking for a answer.

               "I wish I could. Best I can think of is the greatest pirate-assassin ever."

               "Kenway is not going to help us." I look back at the map.

               "Edward looks down at the map and suddenly, " By the way, where did you get the map, I though you lost it somewhere!"

               "The captain of the ship gave it to me. He saved me and gave me to the people who brought me back form the dead." I say. "That was Kenway."

               "Hmmm. That is much better now. I was wondering why he didn't care that people will a full combat outfit were boarding the ship." He leans down and examines the map. "Let me see the book." He stretches out his hand, eyes still fixated on the map. I roll my eyes and take the book out placing it on his hand. "By the way, if Kenway is still alive, shouldn't Arno be alive?"

               "Arno? Arno Dorian?"

               "Yes him. I heard he is still somewhere in France." He look up at me. "That would have been a place where Eric would have gone next if we hadn't arrived here to wipe out a large portion of his army. He knows Arno would be one of the toughest opponents ever. Only Ezio Auditore would be tougher. Our only current hope would be to find Arno. Ezio we will not find. Even with some age, he is impossible to find, unless he wants to be found."

               Just as I was about to reply the girl walks over, "Leonard is awake, he wants to speak to you." She says looking at me. I could feel my face going the same color as her hair. She is gorgeous, i have never seen anyone like her.

               Edward realizing what is going on with me quickly replies, "We will be right there." The girl nods and walks away. He nudges me, "You're welcome. A second later and she would have killed you for staring like that." He looks at me grinning.

               "I... I don't know what you're talking about." I looking in the direction of the girl. After another second, I look at the map and the book in Edwards hand and putting them away I start to walk towards Leonard. What does he know that Eric was threatened by him. I need his help, and I need to find Arno before Eric does.