The Combo

Chapter 1

I realised my mistake... too late!  Cold air bit into my flesh.  Heavy breathing erupted from the shadows. Any minute now... the forest cried as the wind ripped the leaves of the finger like branches.  Two bright glowing red eyes burst from the shadows. Roots snaked and snagged my foot! A muffled sob escaped my lips. A branch cracked in the opposite direction. They were coming! Fear racked my body.  And then a lashing pain washed over me as the first set of teeth sunk into me. A wild savage song of growls and snarls filled the silent night. Looking up at the full moon as it hung in the night sky I realised that it might just be the end. One huge wolf's head the size of a bears filled my vision. In the light or lack of it the wolf looked black, with amazing eyes that mirrored the stars in the night sky. I couldn't believe I was admiring this beast's eyes, one powerful snatch of its jaw and I would be dead. I closed my eyes and waited... Only it never did. The sound of The huge wolf's song overpowered all other noise of growling and scraping and the feast on my left arm stopped. The huge wolf looked down at me with icy blue eyes and then exhaustion dragged me into darkness...

I jolted awake, I looked over at my nightstand 3:00AM? Seriously? That same nightmare haunted me for the past two months and every time it feels more real than the last. I got out of bed in search of something to drink. Everytime I had that dream I woke up dying of thirst or so it feels and you know what's more weired? I can clean my nails at night until the skin is red and when I wake up I have a thick layer of dirt under them like I had racked my nails through mud and trust me no body with OCD would do that. The kitchen was cold and sterile and as I pured myself a glass of milk, I felt completely on edge. I think everybody feels it when you are the only one awake. Everybody's else is upstairs and all you can think is, what  if somebody is hiding around a corner waiting to get you. And still after 16 year I have to run up the stairs as fast as I can so nothing can grab me. So I decide to check 'the perimeter' of the house for my own peace at mind. I started my route at the old dinning room/ office that nobody uses since dad died and Mum lost it. A large mirror was on the floor, it had a huge crack in it and a piece was missing leaving a empty black hole. As I stood in front on the damaged mirror I made a list of good and bad things about me.

GOOD

1. My hair was a natural platinum colour and it came down to the bottom of my back.

2. I hardly ever got spots.

3. I have nice pale skin.

And that's it...

BAD

1. I'm very short like 5 foot 4

2. I keep a lot of my fat in my bottom half so to speak. This could be debated that it's a good thing but I hate having a big bottom. And you would to if all you got was "dat ass!" aghh

3. I was starting to get a mono-brow but it was quiet noticeable considering I had dark eyebrows.

4. I have braces.

5. This one you can't see. My OCD.

finally for the tenth time this week I declare myself not datable I thought picturing myself as judge and slamming down that wooden hammer. I continued my check and kept thinking about the "bad's" which made me feel a bit depressed. I don't know why I do it. It's not like bringing them all the the surface was going to make them go away. I got back to the kitchen and more importantly my milk and plonked myself back down in my stool.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Somebody was at the back door!

Startled I abondanded my milk and ran. As I reached the stair I heard the shattering of glass,

"Go find her mark!, and don't come back till you do!"  I loud voice said, defiantly a man, oh God, two men in my house and its just me, my crazy mum who I swear  is on a death wish and my little brother. I changed course in a random attempt to either  lead them away from my family or saving myself. I opted for saving my family. The living room was a mine pit of sharp edged Lego and toy cars so there was no problem in making noise. I kicked a massive box of Lego over and it definitely had the desired affect. grabbing the lamp i hid behind the sofa with my make shift weapon.

"cassie! I know you are in here" said the intruder in a Loud whisper. "please cassie, I know your scared, I was too but it's gonna be fine, and trust me when I say you are gonna want to come with us" that last part got my attention and I felt the hairs on my neck rise. What was this fool on about?

"how do you know my name" I asked in a equally loud whisper

I heard foot steps and a quiet curse as the intruder stepped on something. A boy no older than 16, my age, crouched down as the end if the sofa. He was attractive but his pointed teeth ruined his smile and I felt like I was face to face with a shark sizing its pray up.

"cassie we don't have time, they are gonna come soon and we need to be gone. I'm sorry about this, do you want to come willingly? No I didn't think so" His hand russled in his pocket and he pulled out a syringe. I tried to back away but he was to fast as he plunged the needle straight into my neck. And once again in that night I fell into darkness.

**** please leave feedback :p