Chapter Twenty three - A busy day

It was the final day before the Grand Ball. Everybody in Eirene was busy with excitement, except me. My three weeks in Eirene was coming to an end. My report had been completed but I might be adding some juicy bits about the Grand Ball later. There was nothing mentioned about my stay being extended or whatsoever. I was not sure what would happen to our relationship.

After the kiss last night, I could no longer think straight. I admitted to myself that I did like Alex, maybe a little tiny bit. He made me feel special, and loved. But he had a great responsibility. Becoming the future King was overwhelming enough, not to mention about him being the guardian.

I had yet to come to terms with the idea of a magical war. I did see the magical creatures with my own eyes but I was still feeling a little fairy-headed. It was as if all was just part of a fairy tale. Maybe, it was all a dream. Maybe, Eirene was a dream. Maybe, Alex was also a dream. I would find myself waking up one morning on my bed at home with the usual jokes and laughter made at the breakfast table. Jon would be teasing me about something, or I would be on my way back to College for my final term.

Everything here in Eirene was too difficult to be true.

When I woke up in the morning, everyone was up and about.  Even the usual talkative Kristine was in a hurry off somewhere.

I went down to breakfast to find that I was the last person up for breakfast. Esther had gone into town to meet some friends, Camus had gone out on an errand (again) and Alex was off to some meeting.

I was sent back to my room to await the seamstress who would be doing a final measurement of my ball gown. The gown actually came a week ago and was a little loose when I tried it on. So, the seamstress had promised to return today to make the final alterations.

It was a lovely gown – something that I always wanted. I always something different. I did not want black or white, or pink or blue. These were such common colours. So I decided to go for yellow instead. Unlike Alex, I was not fair-skinned. But neither was I as tanned as Camus, so I was somewhere in the middle. The light yellow colour fitted me beautifully and was a matching contrast for my jet black hair. It was a strapless gown with a bodice made up of a corset which gave me the security of staying on my body. I did not like dresses that tend to slip down my body! It hugged my curves just at the right places. I loved the layers of frills on the skirt and a short train at the back of the gown which made me feel princess-y. I kept the gown away from the eyes of Alex. Only Esther had seen me in it and she proclaimed it as 'absolutely mouth watering and magical'.

I got myself a nice silver pair of dancing heels which had little beads of jewels on it to go along with the gown. I had been practising hard in my shoes for hours in my room secretly!

Since there was nothing much to do and nobody to accompany me, I settled in my room in front of my labtop to catch up with my friends and news from school.

I was surprised to see Yolande online.

"Hey girl!" she wrote.

"Hey babe! I miss you!"

"We too! How's everything?"

"Great. The Grand Ball is tomorrow and everybody is busy with the preparations."

"So, why are you online then? LOL"

"Well, there's nothing for me to do. My gown's all done."

"Cool. How does your gown look like?"

"Hang on." I went to take a snapshot of the gown which was hanging in the corset and I attached it to my message to her.

"Oh my goodness! It's fabulous!"

"You think so?"

"Absolutely! You are going to get the prince, girl! How is it going between the two of you?"

"Well, we sort of kissed?"

"Oh bullshit! You are kidding right?"

"Not really. He kissed me last night."

"I thought you said Camus kissed you."

"That was different. Camus kissed me on the cheek."

"Your first kiss!"

"Yeah..."

"How was it?"

"Well, it felt nice?"

"Crap. Of course, it felt nice. So, how do you feel towards him?"

"I don't know Laine. I'm confused."

"Do you or do you not like him?"

"Well, he's nice and stuff..."

"Answer my question, you idiot."

"Yes, I like him."

"LOL. Then that's all you need."

"What?"

"How does he feel about you then?"

"He says he loves me."

"Woah. That's fast."

"Yeah, I know. It's only three weeks..."

"Love is a mysterious thing. You never know what will happen. My parents were love at first sight. I never believed in those stuff!"

"That's true..."

"But where does that brings you?"

"I don't know..."

"Are you extending your stay?"

"I don't think so.... Nobody said anything..."

"Not even him?"

"I haven't seen him today."

"Crap."

"Yeah."

"Well, think about it then. And see how you want to develop it."

"Develop what? He's a prince, for goodness sake."

"Ya, so what? He's still a very attractive man who is in love with you."

"What's going to happen to me if I marry him?"

"Well, you'll be queen for sure."

"Are you serious?"

"You know it better than I do..."

"..."

"Anyway, just enjoy the ball tomorrow and send some pictures if you can!"

"K."

"I gtg. Mom's calling."

"K. I'll see you soon."

"Yeah, ciao."

And she signed out.

I missed my friends. I wished they were here.