Chapter Twenty four - Help!

Chapter Twenty four – Help!

The day ended without a glimpse of Alex. James told me that he was still in a discussion with the King when I turned in for bed.

I woke up in the middle of the night when I heard tapping on my window pane. I sat up immediately.

I walked towards the window cautiously and peered out. The window pane was down as I had closed it earlier for I did not want to wake up feeling cold. The cold dew had settled on the glass causing it to be too foggy to see out. I wiped it but to no avail since the condensation took place on the external side of the glass. I tried to peer out again when the tapping continued and caused me to jump.

I pushed up the window slightly and I felt the wind gusting in. I sucked in my breath,

"Who's there?" I asked timidly, voice quivering.

"It's me, Twinkle Toes!" I heard a familiar voice through the gap.

Twinkle Toes? I drew up the window pane further to see it was indeed the little fairy.

"What are you doing here?" I offered my hand to help her in.

She stepped into my palm and followed my hand in as I closed the window pane again.

"Something is happening to the forest!" she sobbed.

"What happened?" I asked her anxiously.

"We are not sure, but it might be the Warts. Could you come with me?" she pleaded.

"Me?" I was surprised. "But what can I do?"

"Just come please?" she pleaded again.

"Hold on. I think we should get Alex and the rest."

"They are gone."

"Gone? To where?" I asked, puzzled.

"To the forest, of course. The Counsel had called them in earlier."

"Then, shouldn't it be fine now?"

"No, we need you too."

"But what can I do? I don't even know how to get there. It will take me two hours to ride there. I don't know how to draw the circle!"

"I will bring you there."

"Wait! Let me change my clothes."

"Hurry!"

After I had changed into a suitable pair of jeans and cardigan, Twinkle Toes started to fly around me. Her wings fluttered, giving out sprinkles of magic dust. She circled me and I was engulfed in a crowd of golden dust. Then I felt myself lifted off the ground. I could not see anything except that it seemed like I was in a whirlpool. I really must get used to way of travelling around, I thought.

I flew for some minutes in the air before feeling my feet touched ground. I landed on a soft patch of grass and the whirlpool started to clear enabling me to see properly.

It was night in the forest and it seemed a little way too quiet for my liking. Even the leaves stopped rustling for the air was so still. There were no folks around and no lights to guide our way.

The golden dust on Twinkle Toes caused her to sparkle and she reminded me of a firefly. She led me through a narrow path and up a tree. I realised we were going up her house. All the tree houses were dark and silent as we passed over them to get to her house.

When we got to her house, I saw that a crowd of fairies had gathered in her small sitting room. There were about twenty fairies whispering in her room. The lights were lit and the room was warm. When I stepped, their whisperings stopped.

"I've brought her here!" Twinkle Toes declared.

"We are so glad that you could make it!" one of the fairies who was seated on the cushion exclaimed.

I looked at them in confusion, for I knew not what to do.

"We need your help!" Another exclaimed.

"I'm sorry. But what can I help?" I asked.

"As long as you are willing, you will be able to help!"

"Erm... okay. But could you just enlighten me what is going on and what do I need to help? I'm lost here..."

"Shhhh...." One of the fairies hushed me. Twinkle Toes went to join them in the circle after she dimmed the lights.

We sat in dim light and I saw them listening hard. I stood where I was, just next to the closed door, wondering what to do.

One of them finally spoke.

"They are here," she whispered in fear.