Chapter Seven - The Forest of Ptos

Chapter Seven – The Forest of Ptos

The next day, Alex took me to town. We stopped at the town hall where Alex introduced me to everybody. There was Sara – the administrative clerk, Deborough – the accountant, Damien – the legal advisor as well as others like Valerie, Holly, David and Craig who did other roles.  We also stopped by at the local school, town library, shopping street (or rather a boutique street that housed shops that sold clothes, books, food, and other necessities) and a local café which Alex proclaimed was the best in town. We stopped by a Chinese restaurant for lunch and the food was excellent. I was surprised at the way the town people treated Alex. They were polite and friendly, but made no attempt to avoid him. They were at ease with his presence. He was treated just like a normal town folk (except of course, they greeted him appropriately). I had expected the two extremes – either treat him like a superstar, chasing and following him everywhere, taking pictures and autographs, or, avoid him at all costs and all kinds of awkwardness. He was amused by my bewilderment when I told him what I thought.

We also visited some museums which preserved the history of Eirene's artefacts and there was also a museum dedicated to the royal families of Eirene. The streets were also lined with occasion statues of famous kings and queens of Eirene, as well as beautiful fountains. I was introduced to the beautiful Kaytherin fountain where there was a status of the goddess Kaytherin. It was in the centre of the town where the flows of the town rivers met. The status of goddess Kaytherin was done up in limestone and she was a dainty fairy creature with long curls. She was holding a bunch of flowers and smelling them. According to legend, this was how King Ptos first saw her when she was captivated in the cave. The fountain of Kaytherin was believed to be a wishing fountain and Alex encouraged me to throw in a coin and make a wish. I did not know what I wanted to wish for, so instead of wishing for myself, I made a wish for Eirene and her young handsome crown prince.

It was almost seven when we returned to the Castle and were led straight into the dining hall for dinner.  This was my second day of stay and yet I had not met the rest of the royal family. However, I was quite comfortable with not meeting them since it would only add on to my stress level. I retreated back to my room after dinner with the intention to start on my writing when Anna and Kristine came into my room to prepare me for my bath. They were still very shy but I found out that they were quite talkative as well!

I told them about my trip to town and what I thought about how people treated Alex. They were not surprised at all.

"There was never a distinction between the royal family and us commoners. When King Orthos took over from his father – the late King Dominiek, he continued on this legacy." Anna explained.

Kristine added, "That's right. Besides, being royal is just an occupation or a caste system like in India. They are born to protect the kingdom just like we were born to serve the royal family. Of course, everyone has a choice to undo what they had been destined to become."

"Wow, that's a new ideology to me!" I proclaimed. There were people in other parts of the world fighting for power or what they claimed to be equality. But here, Eirenians were happy and satisfied with life. What a difference!

"Aren't there people who wish they were born royal?" I asked curiously.

"Not me!" Kristine shot out immediately. Anna shook her head as well.

"Why?"

"Why? Because they have the biggest responsibility!" She looked at me as if I was stupid.

"Biggest responsibility?" I asked, not really understanding.

"Of course! They have to protect the Kingdom and her culture."

"But Eirene is so safe...," and unknown, I thought.