Chapter Seventeen: Good Boy

Since the school was so close, Rachel is obligated by Christopher to walk home. That's what she intends, however, Kevin stops her. He shifts his bookbag on his back. "Can you come to my house now? I want to show you something cool." Keven asks her.

Rachel feels unsure about his offer. She's about to decline when Kevin suddenly takes her by the  hand. "I promise everything will be okay." he smiles.

Rachel just shrugs. "I don't think my dad will be okay with that."

Kevin pulls her in his direction. "I live right over there," he points to a house not so far away. "I just want to show you one thing, then you can go home, okay?"

Peer pressure. We've all been there before, right? It's not always easy to say no. For Rachel, she thinks what could possibly go wrong? In her mind, she promises never to enter his basement. She doesn't wish to meet another bloodsucker if that is the case.

"Fine," she says.

Once the two of them are in front of Kevin's house, he laughs. "This is going to be great," Kevin says, taking her hand and leading her inside the house.

"What's going to be great?" Rachel says gently pulling her hand away.

Kevin leaves the door open then tells Rachel to hide because Katie's coming. Sure enough, a school bus stops in front of his house and Katie walks out. Rachel doesn't know where to hide so she just sat on the nearest couch and out of sight.

Katie removes her book bag off her shoulder as she enters his house. "Hey," she says, smiling at Kevin.

"Hey!" Kevin says in a booming voice. "My mom made us some snacks. They're down in the basement next to the TV. Want to watch Avatar the Last Airbender?"

Katie smirks. "Yeah, right. That show is lame."

He takes her by the hand and Katie immediately blushes. "Fine, you can pick. I have lots of movies."

Before Kevin walks past the living room, he waves his hand at Rachel indicating her to follow him. She carefully follows him and,at the same time stays out of Katie's site. Rachel feels weird about this and wonders what Kevin wants to do. Kevin stops in front of a door that's behind their staircase. He opens the door. "After you," he says, letting Katie walk ahead of him. Only as soon as she takes one step Kevin pushes her down.

Rachel can hear a loud bang, then hear Katie's body roll down the stairs. Kevin just nods his head and smiles. Rachel can't move a muscle. She's too scared to move. That was the last thing she expected to witness. Kevin turns around and looks at Rachel. "The mean ones belong on the other side so they can pay for what they have done," Kevin says.

Rachel watches as two shriveled arms reach out, then gently pats Kevin on the shoes. Rachel can only sees the arms and no face. Kevin sticks his chin in the air proudly.

"Good boy," a dry voice says from inside the basement.