Shadow and Maria

•Shadow•

"Here I am... back in this lame prison."  Shadow sighed and looked up at the blue sky in the court yard. He sighed as he leaned against a tree, closing his eyes. "There's only one good thing here..." He smiled.

"Shadow!" He looked over his shoulder to see Maria running towards him, holding a few books. He chuckled a little and strolled towards her. "Hey Maria, how have you-" Before Shadow could continue his sentence, Maria wrapped her arms around him and hugged him.

"What happened to no physical contact?" Shadow laughed, "isn't this against the rules?" He asked, but didn't show any intention of getting away from her. Maria shook her head and squeezed him tighter. "I heard you got hurt and got really scared; was it painful?"

Shadow shook his head. "I'm fine, Maria." He told her and turned around to face her. Maria pushed her hair behind her ear and blushed. "Are you sure you're okay?" She asked, diverting her eyes to the ground. Shadow nodded at her.

"Oh, this letter came for you, by the way." Maria said and handed Shadow the envelope. "Maybe it's from Sonic or Amy?"

Shadow ripped the envelope open and Maria stood behind him, looking over his shoulder.
___________________________
Dear Shadow,

The government has heard of your skills and would appreciate it if you worked for us willingly. This letter will be kept short, and everything else will be explained at a later time period. Once you capture Sonic for us, we'll allow freedom, money, a house, and whatever else you desire. Then you will be out of our agency and if you tell anyone of what you've done or seen, you and that person will be annihilated. We hope to see you soon.

The Government

___________________________

"They want me to work for the government?" Shadow asked, surprised by this. "This has got to be some type of joke."

A foot stomp in front of Shadow, took his eyes of the letter. "No joke, and that little Miss wasn't supposed to read that."

A tall purple weasel stood above Shadow, glaring dangerously at him. "Name's Nack, Officer Nack to you, and you're Shadow, right? Don't bother unpacking your belongings." He yawned. Shadow scowled at Nack. "This is a joke. It's just some crazy fantasy of this lunatic-"

Nack covered Shadows mouth, and smiled. "Believe me for now, so they won't have to forcibly remove you." He then looked up at Maria. "Or take her away." 

---
"So I'll work for you until I get replaced by Sonic? Then I get my freedom?"

Officer Nack nodded. "Yeah, that's how this agency works. They hire skilled criminals to do what they can't. You're taking my place, and I'm getting my own freedom."

Shadow looked around the jail cell. "How long did you work this job? And how exactly are we getting out?" Shadow questioned him.

Officer Nack smiled down at him. "One more night here and we'll be out." Then he frowned at him. "I've been doing this job for ten years, I haven't seen my sister for eight of those ten years. I'm excited to see her again."

Shadow sighed, "what exactly did I do to deserve this?"

"You're a criminal."

"Fair point." Shadow said then jumped into his bunk and fell asleep.

The next morning, Shadow and Nack were escorted out of the jail cell and to the perimeter of the island where Möbius Prison is. "Where are we going?" Shadow asked Nack. "We're getting picked up by 'our guys'." He told him, then flicked his head to the right. Shadow looked in that direction and saw Maria was with the guards.

Shadow slowed down, expecting the guards to push him forward, but they didn't. "They'd probably kill me if I ran. They aren't too concerned where I am."

Shadow turned completely around and ran to Maria. They hugged and Shadow planted a kiss on her forehead.

"You can't tell anyone, Maria." He warned her. "Not a soul of what's happening, or they could kill you, okay?" Shadow asked and stared into her eyes. His own eyes were full of concern and freight, but above all love.

"Okay, Shadow, I'll keep this a secret. I promise."

"I love you... I'll keep in touch and visit." He told her and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

"Shadow!" Nack yelled at him. "Come on, the boats here! Crime doesn't wait, you should know that!" Maria hugged Shadow from behind before he jumped on the boat. "I love you too, Shadow. I'll wait for you, I promise I will."

•About three years later•

Shadow walked the streets of the nearby town closest to Möbius Prison Island. In his pocket was a bustling load of cash, and a piece of paper with an address on it. Shadow stopped in front of an apartment building and took a deep breath. He started going up the steps until he came to the apartment number 1239.

He hesitated and then raised his hand to the door. He knocked on the door, twice, letting his hand knock quietly. No answer. He knocked again, this time much louder.

"Coming!"

It was Maria's voice.

The door opened, there was a moment of complete silence as their eyes locked upon each other. Then Maria started crying. Shadow wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead, cheek, and lips.

After a waterfall of tears, Maria calmed down and Shadow and herself smiled happily at each other. They knew they both could finally be happy.

THE END

______________________

Dat twas the end.

Goodnight now mis amigas.