TORN

❝He was younger than me,” said Sirius, “and a much better son, as I was constantly reminded.”

“But he died,” said Harry.

“Yeah,” said Sirius. “Stupid idiot... he joined the Death Eaters.❞

•|∆

The opposition between the Ancient House of Black and the ancient walls of Hogwarts throughout the lives of the last two heirs carrying that name most likely have been recapitulated in a hidden manuscript. Not by the eldest son of that household, however much surprisingly, but by its youngest. Its first page certainly described that from all the many things Regulus Black had loved about Hogwarts, the easily found solitude and the peacefulness surrounding every inch was arguably his favourite.

To him, Hogwarts was not just a normal place to live and study, but a safe haven where he could really be at ease and find comfort within. A place where he won’t be inclined to take any life altering decisions apart from who to hang out with each evening.

And out of all the places in that wide castle where he could have hung out with his own self that eventful morning, Regulus chose the oak tree by the still and silent Black Lake, reading and enjoying his internal peace until it came to an abrupt stop.

Someone, who was known to pass as his twin, had decided to disturb Regulus’s solo date, and proceeded to snatch the book Regulus had been reading and throwing it away from them carelessly while sitting down beside him with an arm around his neck.

“Well hello, young brother. Long time, no see.” said Sirius Black cheerfully.

“Get your filthy arms away from me and return my book back, blood traitor.” replied Regulus coldly the moment he heard the all too familiar voice.

“There now, dear brother. I was only looking forward for a civilised conversation. Fancy walking with me?” Sirius asked, not feeling repulsed a bit.

“I’d rather walk with the Devil.”

“Well we are pretty close mates so you won’t feel a huge difference, you know.”

Regulus sighed heavily.

“Go away, Sirius. I’m not in the mood to endure any of your sass right now.”

“I’m not trying to be sassy really. How are you, Regulus?” Sirius asked sincerely, looking at the eyes he knew so well to the point of acing drawing them blindly.

“Oh, you care. That’s definitely something new for me.” Regulus huffed indignantly, his cool composure still in place. “Better than you’ll ever be anyway, blood traitor.” he completed, pushing away Sirius’s arm.

“Yeah, well I do have my moments.”

Standing up and walking towards his abandoned book, Regulus replied shortly. “And I really don’t want to be a part of them.”

“Regulus why are you pushing me away from you like that?” Sirius asked while standing up too, hurt starting to be evident in his eyes.

“I don’t appreciate the existence of blood traitors in my life.”

“What is this blood I’m betraying, Regulus?” he incredulously asked. “You actually believe it differs whether you’re pure-blood or less? Wake up, brother, and smell the coffee. Don’t let Mother and Father brainwash your morals.”