EMPATHY

❝ Andromeda’s sisters are still here because they made lovely, respectable pure-blood marriages, but Andromeda married a Muggle-born, Ted Tonks, so—”
Sirius mimed blasting the tapestry with a wand and laughed sourly.❞

•|∆

Andromeda Black was a remarkably unique woman who, by any means, never followed the norm. Stupid they had called her when she had defied her dark family in purpose of seeking love and joy, but almost no one knew how happy and ecstatic she was when that had actually happened.

When Andromeda was still young, she had been taught that she should never cross the covert lines her ancestors had put years and years ago. And although she had obeyed then, deep down she knew that that kind of life did not suit her at all. That being tied and moved like a marionette was not her goal at life.

But she did not act on that intuition then.

Throughout the time Andromeda had went to Hogwarts in, however, she was often seen socialising with other Houses, befriending other Houses and making everlasting bonds with anyone with any background through her radiating, kind personality. All that while abandoning the rules that were nagging at the back of her head forbidding her to do so. Gradually, she started to fully realise that not only were her family’s morals completely absurd, but prevented her from actually breathing.

And yet she did not rebel.

Cygnus and Druella Black knew all about their daughter’s actions of course, whether from her older sister or from the eyes and ears they had at Hogwarts. Saying that they were ashamed of her actions could not even come close to what they truly felt. Whenever confronted, Andromeda would always slither her way out politely, which was able to madden them even more.

Yet, when Andromeda was at her sixth year at Hogwarts, fate decided to play a cruel game with her by letting her fall in love with a Muggle-born. And with her family’s morals and beliefs in the back of her head all the time, she knew that they will never accept the blossoming love even if it was the only thing allowing her to breathe.

So, she decided that she would not obey anymore. That love was far more important than dictums.

She did not cross the line once and for all though, just for the sake of the only person she had yet considered as family. She knew that once she tells them about Ted, not only would they disown her, (not that she cared anymore anyways) but that they would also forbid her younger sister from contacting her.

And that was what made her reluctant.

She knew that her sister was more of a follower than a leader and she did not want her to be manipulated by her own family towards an unsatisfying life just like what would happen to her if she resumed that excruciating obligation.

Her conscience started to relax though when Narcissa once came to her when she was at her last year at Hogwarts and told her that she might be falling for a certain pure-blooded blonde. And although Andromeda knew that that meant for Narcissa to stay in the same prejudiced circle, she always only hoped for her sister to be happy and loved.

She had congratulated Narcissa then, hugging her with genuine euphoria because that was also the sign of her freedom. But in the meantime, her heart ached because she knew that the possibility of them never talking again was tremendous.

A couple of weeks later after descending from the Hogwarts Express for the last time ever in her life, she had followed her family back to their manor for their annual Black reunion and began to gather all the bravery she had learned from her Gryffindor friends her entire life.