Luke

The next day of school was another heartbreaking day. If Kimberly had really talked with Cathryn, then would she at least talk to me today? But all through class, she didn't say a word. I must have hurt her real bad. Kimberly kept eyeing us, like, 'Go on, talk to each other." But we didn't. What would I say to her?

"Luke?"
My heart stopped at the voice and I turned. And there she was, standing in the hallway, gazing at me through her blue eyes.
"Yeah," I said, my voice cracking.
"Luke, you really hurt me," she said. The pain on her voice almost made me cry.
"I know," I whispered.
"Why did you do it?"
"Because-" I was cut off when one of the teachers came running towards me.
"Luke! Luke, come to the principal's office quickly!" Mr Riley panted. Then he grabbed my arm and dragged me to the office, not allowing me another glance at Cathryn.

"Luke," the principal started, "I'm very sorry to inform you that your aunt has been rushed to hospital after a sudden collapse. She is found to be in no state of recovering."
No. It felt as if the world was crumbling. Not my aunt. Not her too. I couldn't hear his other words. My pain drowned out his words. I can't lose another person. I just can't. Please. I rushed out of the office, past the other students, past Cathryn, and ran to the hospital.

As I stared down at Aunty Liz's pale face, I cried. Let it all out. The pain from every family member I lost, the pain from the regret of not being a good son, the pain from breaking Cathryn's heart, and the pain from looking at Aunty Liz. I felt like my life was a test. The judge was testing to see how I could cope, how I would react. Why am I the one to go through all of this? I didn't ask for this life.
But this is what I got. And this is what I'll ever get.