One

A/n The main characters name has changed to violet btw so don't get confused :)

One - "It's just a rumour"

I was never a morning person, especially on a Monday morning when your alarm would go off and wake you from your peaceful slumber, just to remind you that you have to get up for the place no one wanted to be.

An audible groan escaped my lips as my hand limply reached over to turn the alarm off, the ringing in my ears now being muffled by the covers that were placed over my head. I sighed. My legs moving from their place on the bed and over the edge, my head still pressed into the cream coloured pillows and my cover over my body.

As soon as my feet hit the carpeted floor, I knew I had to get up. My blonde hair a muffled mess and my eyes dry and bloodshot – from staying up at two in the morning reading fan fiction – I shuffled from my bed and onto the floor below me, my head face planting the soft surface.

That's when my door opened, a gasp emitting from whoever-was-at-the-doors lips, their stature creating a dark shadow against my pastel pink walls.

"Is this what happens every morning?" A voice was heard, tinged with a New York accent that made me look up and smile guiltily at my best friend.

Nia stepped further into the room, her eyes raking me up and down before she tutted disappointedly to herself, "seriously V, we're already running late as it is."

"In my defence," I began, now beginning to get to my feet – only managing to reach halfway before I ended up on my knees instead, "I was reading this book and I lost track of time last night, I forgot that I had school."

She raised her eyebrows, a smirk tugging at her lips, "since when did you ever read."

I pouted, my arms hanging at my sides as I gazed apologetically up at her grey ones, "cut me some slack, it's still reading."

Nia rolled her eyes, grabbing hold of both of my hands and lifting me up to my feet. She tutted again but this time she was pushing me into the bathroom, a smirk on her face.

"Go and shower, I'm going to accompany your dad," she smiled as she began to skip off.

"Don't you dare hit on him again like last time!" I shouted after her, her soft voice replying with an "I'll try".

I intertwined my hands together before shutting the bathroom door behind me, trusting my best friend to not flirt with my step dad, only my trust was very limited with her.

Luke has been married to my mom for around three years now, leaving him as my step dad and in legal control over me. Which sucked, considering all he ever wanted from me was good grades and no boyfriends.

I understand the protection from boys but I'm sixteen now, old enough to take control of my own actions without my "dad" telling me what to do.

I sighed once again, this time was because of the warm water hitting my bare back in a relaxing shower. Drenching my hair as it did so. It was fifteen minutes later when I finally stepped out and wrapped myself in a towel, exiting my bathroom and sauntering over to my white painted wardrobe.

One hand gripped onto a pair of clothes whilst my other turned on some music on my phone, the song filling the empty room with the voice of Melanie Martinez as I got changed.