Ten

Chapter ten: "skimpy, little boy"

My head nodded swiftly to the sound of soft music that came in through the earphones that were currently plugged into my ears. Chase Atlantic was what Nia mentioned to me only ten minutes prior as she sat on the bed opposite me, her head resting on her hands as her brown hair was tangled up into a loose bun.

"Do you like them?" She asked me, her head tilted to the side as she stared at me with a small but surely noticeable grin that stretched across her pale face. 

My grey eyes glanced up at her and I shrugged, pulling the earphones out of my ears and sighing as I looked down at the maths book in front of me, "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know, Vi," she sighed, lifting her head up and stretching her arms out, "they're good, not to mention they're Australian too." 

"So is Luke, and I don't know if I like him at the moment." 

Nia groaned, rolling over so that she was lay on her back with her arms sprawled out, "stop thinking he owns you." 

"He does." 

"He is not your dad."

"Technically he is." 

Nia opened her mouth to object but then shut it again before letting out another groan that was familiar to the last one, only this time it made my face scrunch up into an obvious cringe.

"Why are you groaning so loud?" 

"To emphasise the fact that you can't stand up to your dad-that-is-not-actually-your-dad." She frowned, staring at me with thought.

"Do you want to go find my real dad, then?" I asked her, tilting my head to the side, "because I haven't seen him for a good nine years now."

"Vi, I didn't mean it like that," 

"I know." 

Nia sighed, scooting up and closing the maths book that I held in my hand before letting her dark eyes glance up at me, "what did he even do?" 

"Nothing," I replied, Nia's eyebrows raised. I frowned, "he just said how I don't understand what I have."

"What you have?" 

"I don't know," I shrugged, "he took my phone too." 

"At least he didn't ground you?" 

"Two weeks." 

"Fuck," Nia breathed, "what did your mom say?" 

I frowned, shuffling around to find a more comfortable position before shrugging, "I don't think Luke told her, she hasn't been home much lately." 

Nia laughed, "that's sketchy man." 

I hummed, nodding my head as I let purple strands fall in front of my face, "how's Ash?" 

The girl in front of me shrugged, eyes glancing around the room before looking back down at her hands, that were wound together, "I don't know, he's been distant since that party." 

"I told you parties were terrible things, especially the parties that Calum does anyway." I giggled, remembering back to the night.

"It was good for Rena." 

"Who the fuck is Rena?" I laughed, throwing the books that were sprawled over my bed and onto the floor. I lay back against the wall and stared at Nia who once again let her shoulders lift up into a shrug.