Chapter twelve

Kenan

I woke up by the sound of Hailey showering in the bathroom. I turned around and kept my eyes closed, didn't want to go up just yet. I heard how she did her best to be quiet in there but it was nothing about that girl that was quiet. Hailey was filled with joy and happiness so I couldn't understand why she wanted to be with a guy like me. I was nothing like her. Unlike her, I was filled with darkness.

But Hailey made me want to change. She made me want to be a better man, for her and for myself. But it was hard. You can't change over night. The fact that I was in a realtionship that lasted longer than 5 hours showed me that I was in the right direction.

Before Hailey, I used to drink all the time, I took drugs and slept with a lot of girls. Almost never the same girl twice. I used to think that I was better than everyone and of I didn't like you I would show you that. I've hurt a lot of people, myself included. But the ones I hurt the most was my mother and Milo.

Modesto Fidem used to be my older brother Dejan's crew. He was the leader and I was his right hand. One night Dejan, me and two other guys from the crew was at the "office" as we called it, where we prepared a shipment with cocaine that had just arrived when we heard a car outside. We all grabbed our guns, hid the cocaine and headed outside to check it out.

As soon as we opened the door the bullets started flying. We took cover and shot back at whoever was shooting at us. I emptied my gun and heard someone scream to my right. I looked over and saw Dejan lying on the ground, blood coming from his shoulder and chest. I quickly reload and started shooting.

I saw how one of my bullets hit one of the other guys in the leg and not long after that they fled the scene. Not even making sure that they were completely gone I rushed over to Dejan who was bleeding on the ground. I pulled my sweatshirt of and tried to hold presure on his wounds.

-    Call 911!! I screamed as I tried to keep Dejan awake.
-    K, don't bother, they'll find the cocaine. I'll be fine.
-    No you're not fine, and they won't find it. I asured him.

While I was sitting there with Dejan I told the others to take care of the cocaine. I could see how he got weaker and the ambulance took forever to get here. I had never been this scared in my life before. And there was nothing I could do to help him more than I did. I saw the guy who shot at us lying on the ground aswell and I could see the blood coming from his thigh. I cursed when I saw that and wished I had hurt him more.

-    Kenan.. Dejan said and he never called me by my full name.
-    I'm here. You're doing great, the ambulance should be here soon.
-    If I don't make it.. He started but I cut him off.
-    Don't talk like that.
-    Please Kenan, tell mum and Milovan that I love them and tell her that I don't want her to be said. And don't let Milo be apart of this world. Promise me that.. He said and took my hand.
-    You will make it so stop this nonsense. I didn't want to hear this.
-    Just promise me Kenan, please.
-    I promise.. I said and tears appeared in my eyes.

A minute later Dejan lost consciousness and all I could do was to scream. I squeezed his hand and put my forehead against his as I cried. I heard the ambulance sirens in the distance.

When the paramedics arrived they had to drag me away from Dejan in order to help him. They put him on a stretcher and then put him in the ambulance. They asked if I wanted to go with him and helped me in to the ambulance.

Hailey came out of the bathroom and snapped me out of my thoughts. I moved around a bit so she would see that I was awake. I opened my eyes and looked at her. She looked like a dream as always, no matter what she wore she always looked beautiful.

-    You look nice, where are you going? I asked, stretched my body and yawned.
-    I still go to school, remember? She answered and smirked.
-    Oh yeah, I forgot. Have fun haha. I replied and pulled down the duvet so you could see my abs. I really didn't want her to leave, might aswell try and tease her back to bed.

She gave me a kiss and then she left. I had no plans today and I knew the cops were watching me even more now so I had to lay low for a while. Peter told me to try and stay away from Danilo and the other guys for a while and the business we did so the cops wouldn't have anything else to add on to my charges.

I got up from bed and in to the kitchen to make some coffee. While I waited for the coffee to be ready I went out on the balcony and smoked.

When I had finished my cigarette the coffee was ready and I poured it into a cup and brought it with me back to the bedroom. I got back in to the bed, put my cup of coffee on the side table and picked up my phone.

To: Danilo
From: Kenan
Have to lay low, I'll call you when I'm back. You're in charge until then. Tell the others.

I knew Danilo could handle the business until I was back. He was my right hand and I trusted him with everything. We had been bestfriends since we were six years old when him and his family moved here.

I turned on the tv and watched whatever show that was on. But I was still tired and fell asleep shortly after I turned the tv on.

When I woke up it felt like I had slept for weeks but at the same time it felt like I hadn't slept at all. It was so frustrating. I got up and walked in to the bathroom to go to the toilet and take a shower.

But the shower didn't make me less tired so I went to my hidden stash and popped a few pills that would definitely make me more alert. I knew Hailey didn't like when I took drugs but I did it anyway.

I walked back in to the bedroom, took my phone and went out on the balcony to smoke. I texted Hailey cause I really wanted her to come back so we could enjoy eachothers company in my bed again, because the sex with Hailey was honestly the best sex I had ever had. I still could not believe that she was a virgin before me. She is the best thing I've ever had and I couldn't imagine being without her now.