Chapter one

2011

I was in my room preparing for school when my phone rang. It was my best friend Julie and I answered.

- I'm outside in 5 min, you better be ready! She said and laughed.

- I am, I'm just finishing up with my hair.

- Good, see you soon! And with that she hung up.

Julie and I lived a few blocks from each other, and walked to school together every day. Something we had done since we were seven years old and her family had moved here.

I went down to the kitchen and grabbed an apple before heading out the door.

She was already waiting for me outside and sighed when she saw me.

- You're always late H, you're killing me! She said and grabbed my arm.

- No I'm not, we literally just hung up! I pushed her and laughed as she murmured something I couldn't hear.

Julie was the same age as me and we had always been best friends. She was so beautiful, she had dark brown hair, grey eyes and a body of a model. We were the opposite of each other. I had blonde hair, blue eyes and my body was more average.

But personality wise, we were almost the same. We liked the same movies, music, clothes and so on. I couldn't wish for a better best friend than her.

It was Friday today, which meant Julie and I was going out. That was her thing, knowing when there is a party, who had it, what people were going to be there etc. My thing was to go were Julie told me we were going and that's it.

But I didn't mind doing that since Julie and I always had a blast together.

We talked about tonight's party during our walk to school. It was a boy from school who threw the party, Jimmie I think his name was. According to Julie the whole school were going to be there, it was a party we "just can't miss" she told me.

When we arrived to school we went to our lockers and grabbed our stuff, said goodbye and then walked to our separate classes. To start the day with math was not what I called a good start. But what do you do? You suck it up and just do it.

The day went by pretty fast and before I knew it the bell rang and we could go home.

Julie and I walked home together and planned for the evening.

We decided that I would come over at 5.30 to get ready and then we would go to the party together, like we always did. We said goodbye outside of my house and I went inside.

My mother was home to my surprise when I got in to the kitchen. She usually worked until 4 and it was 3:45 now. She was smiling and singing along with the radio and didn't notice me when I came in.

- Ehm, what are you doing? I asked and looked at her with a questioning look.
- Oh Hailey! You scared me! I'm making cookies, do you want to try one? She asked and stuck a plate of chocolate chip cookies in my face.
- No thanks, why are you home so early today?
Ethan gave me the day off so I thought it would be nice with some chocolate chips.
And with that our conversation was over. I took my bag and headed upstairs to my room.

I closed the door behind me and went straight to my closet. My mission was to find something to wear tonight. And like every other time I thought I had nothing to wear. I threw all of my clothes out on to my bed and searched for something I knew I wouldn't find. Eventually I gave up and picked up my phone. I went to messages and to my and Julie's conversation.