Chapter six

- Just tell me what happened. Julie said as we sat down in the couch.

- I don't know Jules, I just got a call from a Peter guy saying he was Kenan's attorney and that Kenan would call me in the morning. What should I do?

- Okay, relax girl. I know it's tough but there is obviously nothing you can do right now. But let's call Kate and see if Tasim knows anything, alright?

- Yeah okay, and after that, we drink.

I called Kate while Julie was preparing our drinks. Kate told me that she didn't know anything but she would ask him to call me.

Julie came in to the living room with two glasses and a bottle of vodka. That's one thing Kenan always had, vodka.

I don't know for how long we sat there, but when Julie called a taxi and went home the vodka bottle was empty. I know it's not good to drink when you're upset but that's how I know how to controll it. I had no idea what had happened or where Kenan was, how bad it was or if he was hurt. I fell asleep on the couch worrying about him. 

I woke up the next day by the sound of the door being shut. I sat up quickly and rubbed my eyes trying to wake up. A few seconds later Kenan walked in to the room looking exhausted. I stood up and rushed over to him and threw my arms around him.

He kissed the side of my head and hugged me for the longest time. Eventually we pulled away and he looked me in the eyes and gave me a kiss.

- What happened? I've been so worried! I exclaimed.

- I'm so sorry babe. We got in to an argument with some dudes and the police came and arrested us. Did Peter call you?

- Yes he did, but he didn't tell me anything. What do you mean, argument?

- They.. Um.. They were in our territory so we ended up fighting about it. He said and walked in to the kitchen.

- Don't you walk away from me Kenan! I've been worrying sick about you and you come home and lie to me? I don't buy that! I said raising my voice.

- Babe stop.. It's complicated, okay? He tried and kissed my cheek.

- Then uncomplicate it Kenan! I'm sick of being kept in the dark. I'm a big girl, not a child. Whatever you did, you can tell me. I knew who you were when we met and I'm still here, aren't I?

- Hailey.. I want to but..

- But what? It's complicated?

- Yeah.. He said and looked at his feet.

- Then you know what? Call me when it's not complicated! I said, grabbed my things and stormed out of the apartment in tears.

I was tired of him lying to me. Whatever he did with his gang he lied about it. Always made it look like it wasn't as bad as it was. I wasn't stupid, some things were in the newspaper and they were more honest than he was. And when I confronted him about it, he said that they were lying or that it wasn't him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the foundation of a realtionship built on trust? And how am I supposed to trust him when he keeps lying to me? I really liked Kenan, I even think I loved him but was it worth it? Was it worth being lied to over and over again?

A part of me knew Kenan was trying to protect me by not telling me the whole truth. But I wasn't sure if that was enough. It also made me feel like he didn't trust me.

As I got on the bus my phone was buzzing. I knew it was Kenan, he hadn't stopped calling since I left his apartment. I'm suprised he didn't run after me. I couldn't handle this right now so I turned my phone off and put it deep inside my bag.