7 | Melt

Yamaguchi still left for Kyoto.

After that, it all seemed normal. For Kei there would be homework everyday, volleyball practice, preparations for exams. Yamaguchi on the other hand decided to keep things to himself while he focused on college prep programs, he didn't bother to try out for the volleyball team knowing it wouldn't be the same.

It's all normal except every hour stretched like days and all sounds blur into the background as both of them search for each other's voice like instinct. It's not that they couldn't talk to each other if they wanted to, that would seem like a joke. There's always smartphones and it would be total fraud to say that it's impossible to reach one another. Akiteru, Kei's older brother also never fails to call Yamaguchi three times a week to check up on him making sure he relays those information to Kei who pretends not to care.

"Tadashi seems to be doing good, working part-time at a diner, earning himself money and girls." Akiteru chuckled playfully.

"Working?" Kei's ears perked up and this could be the first time that he showed genuine interest in what Akiteru says.

"Yeah, apparently he had to fight with his mom to get to Kyoto. He's living on his own so he has to work for himself since he used up almost all of his savings since his parents aren't willing to pay his rent." his big brother looked like he wanted to tear up as pity took over its face.

Somehow it all felt like his fault.

Didn't Yamaguchi took off because of him? He left him a vague message that day before he was gone. It's like as if Yamaguchi's voice still rang in his ears.

"Please be angry at me, I betrayed you Tsukki, sorry Tsukki!"

With no explanations and no truth, he went as far away from him as he possibly could. Half of him wants to forget Kei but the other half wishes that his absence would cause pain that will always make him remember. It's so goddamn selfish and he knows it.

The sweltering heat never helped anyone except those profiting from it. Kei lay, his back on the floor of his room as the widely opened windows ushered the cool breeze in. It wasn't normal for him to abandon his clothes but his pullovers wont really do well in this kind of temperature unless he wants an improvise sauna session so now his skin felt sticky with sweat against the wooden floor.

How many months had it been? Ten? It might have been a year already since his best friend left and no one replaced him since then, not that he expects someone to reach him like he once did. Yamaguchi's efforts that he ignored. Akiteru's annoying persuasion finally got to him and he gradually started to contact him. Yamaguchi replies to Kei, how could he not? But all thise replies seemed to be guarded, a dead end answer making it impossible to continue a conversation.

"Oy Kei! We gotta go!" Akiteru called from his door throwing the boy a formal shirt he's supposed to wear in this boiling heat. He stood up lazily and fixed himself without any intent to but something else pumped his blood within him.

Without hesitation, he quickly sent him a message before heading out.

'Don't dare hide from me today.'