CHAPTER 45

I don't know how long I'd been with the rebellion, I must have lost count of the days, but it was well within a few good months. The nights had gotten colder, and the leaves were changing color, so it was likely around November or October. That meant it was getting closer to my birthday, which wasn't exactly a good memory for me, but I was with Kailas again, so maybe for once I wouldn't have a panic attack that lasted the entire day.

At least the cold nights weren't entirely upsetting, since I had someone to cuddle and share warmth with. Nothing was better than waking up encompassed by intense heat, a steady heartbeat beneath my ear. It had been slow going, but I was finally starting to relax enough to sleep close to Kailas, going as far as wrapping myself in his arms when he was asleep so he was holding me through the night.

My anxiety wasn't as bad as it had been when I first came here, I may flinch away when some people approach or try to touch me, but I didn't try to pull away when it was Kailas. His touch was appreciated, and by now I practically fell against him when he wanted me close. I was blessed to have him, and I couldn't have asked for a better or more understanding lover.

When I woke up the smile on my face was genuine as I traced the scar on his chest and pressed myself against his body, closing my eyes to his heat and sighing in satisfaction. Nothing could make me feel more content than lying so close to him, my thumb rubbing his arm as I idly remembered the past when we were kids, when we first met, when I first saw bandages on his face, the way he would smile at me, the way he would look when he was passed out beside me in my bed. He was always so vulnerable, and he had such a good, gentle heart. This world was too cruel to him, but I was happy to be beside him again so I could protect him.

I pushed myself onto my elbow, raking a hand through my hair to push it out of my face so I could see him clearly, smiling more and reaching out to trace his jaw and lean down to kiss his lips before sitting up and looking around the room, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

Today would be my first day training Ian one-on-one, so I'd have to get up. I wanted to stay in bed with Kailas, but I promised to help him, so I forced myself up and got dressed as quietly as I could before pulling the covers back over Kailas. When I turned, I stopped, staring at a pen sitting on the bedside table.

Evidently Kailas had fallen asleep working, again. He'd be out for a while longer, and not happy when he woke up with me gone. It always had him panicking a little when I wasn't there, and I could understand because I was the same way, so I decided to try and ease that future heart attack, picking the pen up and uncapping it before climbing back onto the bed.

I scribbled a quick note to Kailas onto his wrist before kissing him again and leaving the room, smiling to myself as I made my way down the halls to Ian's room.

I was surprised to see he was already awake and dressed, sitting with the new walking stick we'd got for him, this one made of metal instead of wood so it wouldn't break as easily. His head tilted to the side when the door opened, his hands curling tighter around the staff in anticipation before I spoke to show it was me.

"Hey, you ready?"

"Yea," Ian breathed and stood up, turning to me, "Where are we going?"

"Outside," I said, and he frowned, "There's a clearing above the settlement I found the other day that's secluded from everyone else. I'd rather not teach you all of this around a group of people."

"Is it that bad?" he asked, and I nibbled on my bottom lip.

"Well remember I'm psychotic and trained to kill, so yea, it's pretty bad."

"Lead the way," Ian said, holding his arm out, and I snorted.

I figured we would be the only ones up this early, but when we stepped outside the back door I was kind of shocked to see Cass sitting on the porch swing with a cup of coffee, staring out over the settlement with this unnervingly blank look on his face.