DAISY

| DAISY: YOUTH, INNOCENCE. |
♠♣♠
—————

We were very young when I realized you loved me. You never said so. You were quiet about those sort of things.

And we were children. The loveliness of our youth was the fact that we were heartless and unafraid of anything.

But you loved me. It was the sweetest, purest love, the love of a child, and I remember not being sure what to think of it. I fell asleep with a strange, wondering look on my face, and you appeared in my dreams, shimmering with moonlight and laughing with pearly teeth and glittering eyes.

I had never been in love with a boy. I was only a little girl. When you picked me wildflowers from my backyard, I'd twirl and make you dance with me. I was a princess and you were a prince, but I didn't really care.

One day, you took my hand and told me you were moving away. We were still very young; I didn't wear glasses yet and you didn't care if I pretended to kiss you.

I remember staying quiet, and then bursting into laughter and chasing you, and your quiet sadness turned into a game of tag, and it was all over.

But the moving truck came, and I was at your house, helping you to pack away your things. I still didn't quite understand. I promised to see you the next day, but you had shaken your head and given me your sad, sweet smile, the smile I miss most of all.

And as you drove away with your family, I gripped my father's hand. You waved to me. A million words were stuck in my throat; I could barely breathe. And I realized then, that I loved you too, but now it was too late and you were gone forever.

We were so young, once.