Chapter 4

~Nicki's POV~
Today is Monday and it's back to the old grind. I get up early to take Jordan to his bus stop. He has a new friend who takes the same bus and his mom stands outside and watches both of them so they get on safely so I don't have to wait. "Bye Jordan, I'll see you later ok?" "OK bye mommy!" He said waving his lunch box in the air as I walked away. I went home and changed and drove to work. "Hey Nicki, how come you didn't answer my texts yesterday?" "I was spending a day with Jordan." "Oh well how did the date with Tyrone go?" "It was ok, no relationship though." "Aww!" "Sorry T." I said as I left the break room. I was behind the counter when I heard the little bell on the door ring indicating that someone walked in. I grab my pad and pen and I make my way over. "Welcome, what can I get you guys?" I look up at the table and James and Tammy are there. I freeze. "Ok, just stay calm Nicki, you can't let James intimidate you." "I would like the regular pancakes with maple syrup and orange juice." Said James. I turned to Tammy. "And you ma'am?" "I'm not very hungry, I'll just have a water." "Ok, anything else?" They both shook their heads no and I nodded. "Your meal will be out soon." As I'm walking back I can hear James whispering loudly to Tammy. "You begged me to take....and all you order is a water? You're an ungrateful....bitch." Was all I could hear James say. Just hearing that makes my skin crawl. Why would a man want to talk to a woman like that? I took the order back to our chef and I went and took orders from other tables. "Here's the meal for table 5." Said the chef. "Ok, thanks." I took the meal to James's table. "Here you are." When I looked up and Tammy her eyes were blood shot. She must've been crying. "Anything else you guys need?" "No." Said James. I walked away and went to the back to take a break. The look on Tammy's face was still in my mind. James is so mean and abusive I don't know why Tammy is still with him. TT comes in the back and sit down next to me. "Something on your mind?" She asked looking over at me. "Just thinking about James and Tammy." "Why? James is your ex though." "Yeah but, I heard James say some things to Tammy when I walked away from their table after I took their orders, and when I came back it looked like Tammy was crying. It just kinda reminded me of when we were together." I put my head in my hands. "Aw, Nic, it's alright just don't think about it, alright?" She put her hand on my back. I shake her off. "That's easy for you to say." "Hey guys." Said the boss storming in. "Get up we got customers!" "Ok." We said in unison. We looked at each other then we got up to start working. As I walked out I saw James and Tammy leaving. James had a tight grip on Tammy's wrist as they were walking out. I looked away before I could get all emotional and I went to clean some tables.

~After Work~

"TT I'm leaving." I said as I grabbed my bag. "Ok Nic!" I started to walk out but TT yelled behind me. "Nicki wait! I have another date for you." She showed me a picture of another boy. "Well, ok I guess he's kinda cute." "Great, I already made the date for tomorrow at 8." "Alright." I went to pick up Jordan and drove home.