The lake

He woke with a start he didn't know where he was but he could feel his cloak was heavy. Clearly wet. He was confused but he could breath it was silent.
The last thing he could remember was saying thank you to Merlin for all he had done . He had finally accepted that his loyal man servant Merlin had magic but he still couldn't quite believe it. But he still didn't know where he was, he was scared, as his sword was nowhere to be seen and he didn't have his friends. Especially now that he didn't have Merlin. He was surrounded by blue and purple whirl pools in dark mossy stones with crystals placed on a flat rock at the very front of the cave almost like an alter.
He turned there was no exit. He didn't know what to do he took his cape off it made a soft thud as it hit the cold damp floor. He began to move about the cave he knelt at a whirl pool he touched the edge of the stone and image appeared in the water.

It was Gwen his wife she was sat at the throne and Leon was beside her
"The king is dead. Long live the Queen" 
Suddenly everyone in the room was repeating it. Arthur recognize Gwen's face it was upset and distressed. Arthur was confused.

He stood up he let go of the stone and the image disappeared. He touched another one and this time it was the old man, Merlin. he was wondering along a grey path and a blue thing rode by incredibly fast yet Merlin did not seem bothered by it surely with Merlin being him and his energy this must be exciting. But then he saw where Merlin was he was looking at the lake Arthur had been buried in. Arthur began to shout "Merlin, Merlin Yes I'm here i just need your help please Merlin." But the image began to fade.

What was going on what had happened. Arthur struggled to remember how he even ended up in the lake he struggled to remember anything except his kingdom his wife and his friends. Nothing else mattered he had to get back to Camelot and fast. But with no exit from the cave he could do nothing. He decided to go back to the stones and see what else he could see try and piece together anything even if it wasn't his situation.

He saw Gwen sat on the throne again except Leon was sat next to her. they were holding hands.

She had moved on....

They had two beautiful children a boy and a girl. Merlin had gone back to Camelot to be with Gwen during the morning of Arthur's funeral  but he had stayed a little while longer to take care of Gaius as he was in his old age and didn't last much longer than Arthur. He died in his sleep at least. That put Arthur's worries at rest.

                                                  ###############################

Merlin held the old mans hand it was cold by now but Merlin couldn't let go . He had lost too much already his mentor the father figure he had the man he looked up to was dead and now as morning arose he had no more tears to cry. He spent his tears and now that he was no longer alone he could comfort those around him. when they left Merlin couldn't hold back his anger and upset. He was distraught that he had gone but he was angry at him for leaving him so soon after Arthur had. Why? How? Who would do such a thing? Merlin knew this was eventually going to become a regular thing as those around him aged and he stayed. He was the only thing that couldn't wither and die.  He couldn't watch Camelot wither and die he had to leave he had too. Arthur was not returning for a while he knew that he could do whatever he wanted it wasn't like he was running out of time. 

He said goodbye to Giaus properly and stayed a few more days while he packed all he needed and stored what he will need upon his return with Arthur. He said his goodbyes to Gwen Leon the children and the other friends he made in Camelot and he set off with his horse on the long journey that lay ahead. Merlin still didn't know where he was going but he knew that it would be long. But as he traveled he struggled to think of something pleasing. He couldn't think of his home as that is where his best friend ruled and his mentor died and where all his friends would rot. He couldn't think of where he was going as the unknown could bring all kinds of creatures that could quite easily kill him.  He tried to think of all his happy memories but they all belonged back in Camelot. This was harder than he thought. 

Night eventually came and Merlin started a fire and tried to sleep but it wasn't so easy. This was his new life now and it was going to take some getting used to. He eventually fell asleep and he dreamed, he dreamed of Arthur laying in that lake with Excalibur he dreamt of Giaus finally at peace. He wished that it wasn't so and very quickly his dreaming turned into a nightmare. Merlin's last image was of Arthur looking into the whirl pools and looking ill pale and almost as if he was awakened from his grave. He looked into Merlin's eyes and said "find me Merlin, please" 

Merlin sat up that felt more than just a dream....

                                                                          ##################

Arthur watched as Merlin looked into Arthur's eyes he thought he could hear him he called for help but as he faded away he knew that it was just a cruel way of showing his best friend. Arthur turned and fell onto the floor he couldn't continue with this torture he curled up and cried and wished for his dollop-head of a friend to be by his side he wished he was alive he wished he had tried harder to get to the isle of the lost. He wished he had been a better friend to Merlin. It must of been hours later as Arthur woke up his cloak was dry and hung up and he found himself still on the floor but with a pillow and blanket. 

Someone was with him...

He called out sitting up he went to reach for his sword realising it was still missing. He looked around and found Excalibur in the corner he picked it up calling out again he held the sword in haste and caution of anyone that might be around. A girl in the most beautiful purple and red dress and long curled hair stepped out from behind the alter she had her hands up and Arthur lowered his sword. Arthur didn't know what to do so he thanked the girl for his blanket and pillow and she responded with "it is the least I can do for the man that made the man i love smile. Even if you did command my death." 

Arthur was confused the man she loved? Commanded her death? He had to ask "who are you?" She looked so kind and loving but there was something in her eye that gave off a very different feeling. "I am Freya. I am the druid that was cursed that you killed." Arthur remembered the druid girl he had sliced her front leg when she was the creature he never saw her again. "Who is the man that you love the one I made smile" Arthur asked still not sure.

"Merlin" she said the look on Arthur's face was clearly obvious that he still wasn't clear so she explained how they fell in love and how he helped her and how she promised to repay Merlin. Arthur was stunned that was why he was so upset he felt so bad now that he knew after all the times he made fun of him on the topic of love and yet here she was the one girl that he loved dead in the same cave as him. He couldn't believe it...

                                                       #######################