Eighteen

When I finally get out of the shower and find some clothes, which are slightly too big for me, I see the light is still on in one of the bedrooms. I shuffle to the door slowly. Talon faces away from me arranging some food on a picnic blanket. I stand there for a moment watching him meticulously arranging everything.

After a minute, he stands and takes a step back. He surveys his work then nods and turns, startled to see me in the doorway.

I didn't realize you were there. I don't say anything. Your brother snuck us some food; I told him that you would say goodbye to him in the morning.

"Thank you." I step into the room. "Not just for this for everything. I'm sorry I said you didn't understand--"

You're right. I've never been in the games. You're one of the only people in the world who know what that's like, and soon there'll only be one other person.

I swallow, nodding. "I just can't believe she's gone."

He looks at the ground for a moment. It's hard to lose people you're close to.

"Have you lost someone? I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that."

No, it's fine, he says taking my hand and leading me to sit on the blanket. He divides out some food and then sits across from me. When I was rebelling from the Capitol I had this friend. We fought together and planned attacks together and we got really close. One mission we had planned for months and every detail had been carefully contemplated. When it came time for the mission we were both nervous. The first part went as planned, but when we split up... well, she didn't make it out.

"She?" I ask before I can stop myself.

Yeah, her name was Grey.

I bite my lip and nod. "Were you and her... together?" The last word comes out reluctantly. I nearly hit myself for asking such a stupid question.

He doesn't answer for a moment and I can't read his expression. We were close, but nothing happened between us.

"Did you..."

What?

"I shouldn't be prying into this stuff." I shake my head as I speak.

Aldera, what is it?

"Did you want something to happen?" I cringe at the words.

He looks away from me. I don't really want to talk about this with you.

"Right. I'm sorry. I'm shouldn't have asked." I shove some food in my mouth before I can ask any more stupid questions.

It's just—awkward silence fills the air. I'm going to go to bed. He stands. Goodnight.

I stay on the floor for a moment after he leaves, wondering what just happened. It's only when I get into the bed that the awkwardness leaves me and I remember Sybille again.

I lay awake for a long time thinking about her. She was too young to die. She didn't deserve this.

But no one in those games deserves it.

I roll onto my side and stare at the wall. Eventually fatigue overtakes my thoughts.

The next morning I wake to someone shaking my shoulder. I blink and Talon comes into focus. I almost smile, but then I remember yesterday. Sybille.

There's breakfast downstairs when you're ready, he signs then leaves the room.

I take a deep breath and sit up. I hold my head and nearly break into tears again. No, I have to be strong. I have to get through this. I try to suppress my thoughts but I fail.