Chapter 14

(F/N)

    After we have arrived, we reported to Arslan the state of the city. I sat next to Elam as Daryun, Narsus and Arslan talked. I don't have much idea with politics and such so I remained quiet and just listened until some parts were I can't seem to understand what they are talking about. Out of boredom, I brought out my dagger and started sharpening it with a sandstone. It has become quite dull after a number of times of using it, not just for fighting. I know I should just use my knife with chores but I seem to always forget it in my pack.

    I didn't notice that the others, except for Elam, retired for the night. If not for him tapping my shoulder, I would have continued sharpening my blade until I say that it's as sharp as it was once. "It's late, (F/n). Why don't you take some rest too?"

    I can't help but smile. I placed my dagger in my boots and sandstone in my pocket before standing up and did some stretches. "That sounds good. I was actually planning on sleeping early but somehow I got caught up with sharpening my blade."

    "Oh I see." I then heard Elam chuckle.

    "What?" I glared at him.

    "Nothing. It's just... You're still the same old (F/n)."

    That got me confused. Still the old (F/n)? "What do you mean? I'm still me, Elam." I looked at him trying to be intimidating so that he'll give me an answer. Although... The answer I got from what I expected. This time, Elam laughed. "Forget what I said. It's nothing. If you don't mind... I'll be retiring first. We're moving early tomorrow. And I think it would be best if you too would do the same." And with that, he left. I stayed for a while and stare at the sky. "Father... Mother... Charles... Everyone... I hope that you're all fine."

    I took a deep breath and continued forward. This is insane. We are running away from a five hundred or so cavalrymen. I heard Gieve say that he could take up four hundred of them. I looked back. "I could take a hundred or two." I murmured. Daryun had something to do and would be back soon. Until then, we must escape or even fight back, unscratched.

     We took a turn and rode towards the sun. Taking the brightness of the sun as an advantage, Farangis shoot her arrow at a solider. Gieve followed her and I joined them too. I was at the rear, along with the both of them, and holding back the enemy is a good option in order for us to survive and escape. Soon enough, the soldiers started fighting back and shoot arrows at us.

    "The Djinn are telling me... that we have made the wind our ally," Farangis said with confidence. And like some work of magic, the flying arrows fell. We took another turn. "Your Highness!"

    "Oh, he's here," I stated.

    "Daryun!" Arslan exclaimed.

    "This way!" Daryun said.

    "Understood," Arslan responded.

    We followed Daryun towards a tunnel at the distance. Soon enough, we heard blowing of horns followed by the appearance of Pars archers, who released their arrows in the direction of the enemy. I looked back once I heard shouts of men in pain and desperation to escape death. They may be our enemies but I quite pity them of their fate. If only there was no war, there would be no death. But I know that war can't be avoided. I let out a loud sigh which didn't go unnoticed.

    "Tired already, Miss (F/n)?" Gieve asked.

    "Don't mind him, (F/n). He's not worth your time," Farangis said.