Be Still

Valerie spent her Saturday in the comforts of her own home with her cat, named Kat. Kat was a gorgeous cat with long shiny black fur and a fluffy black tail to match. She had gotten her when she first arrived in New York City as to not be so lonely when she was home. Yes, at times Valerie felt loneliness, but the emotion was masked with the fact this entire doing was for her own safety. She couldn't get close to anyone and risk her life. 

Promptly at five pm, a sharp knock came at her door, interrupting her reading. Valerie looked down at Kat in dread. She could only think of one person who would show up at this time and she just couldn't believe it. Reluctantly getting up from her couch, disrupting Kat's nap, she set her book down on the coffee table, and went to the door. Looking through the peep hole, she found Graves. No surprise. 

With the wave of her hand, the locks unlocked and the door swung open. She had to admit, Graves looked handsome standing at her doorstep. "May I help you?"

"You aren't dressed."

Valerie decided to be a smart ass and looked down at her outfit in confusion. "This isn't classified as clothing." She gestured down her side. Her cream colored robe embroidered with flowers didn't leave much to the imagination but still kept her covered. 

"Oh, so, you'll be wearing that to dinner?" 

"You can't be serious?" 

"I am." She motioned for him to come inside. Once he did, she shut the door behind him. 

"Look, I am not interested in a relationship."

"Neither am I." 

"Then why are you here?"

"To go to dinner."

Valerie groaned, "You know what I mean."

"Not necessarily."

"Are you always this infuriating?" 

"Always." 

"How about we compromise?" Valerie sat back down on the couch. 

"How so?"

"I'll make us dinner. No going out, and this is in no way considered a date or anything of the sort."

"Agreed." Valerie got up and headed straight for the kitchen. The faster she get the cooking done, the quicker she'll get Graves out the door. She decided to make a meal she knew by heart since it was a main dish in her home country, chicken tikka masala. A dish that would take three hours if she were a Muggle, takes only five minutes to prepare with magic. Being a witch was truly a blessing sometimes. 

"What's your cats name?"

Valerie peaked her head out of the kitchen as she put the finishing touches on the meal to find Graves on her couch with Kat on his lap. You could just see she was gleefully purring, enjoying being petted. "Kat."

"Is your cat named Kat, or are you questioning that there's a cat in here?" Valerie chuckled. 

"Her name is Kat."

"Poor creature doesn't even have a proper name. I'll call you Daisy." 

Valerie froze in the kitchen at the new name Graves gave the animal. "What did you say?"

"Her new name is Daisy."

"Where did you get that from?" 

Graves looked over to the stand beside the front door. "The vase full of daisies by the door."

"Oh....right." Valerie knitted her eyebrows together and went back in the kitchen. Plates, silverware, and the food came floating out of the kitchen and into the adjoining dining room. "Dinner is served." They kept their conversations light throughout the meal, enjoying the food immensely. Graves was saving his interrogation for after dinner.