Peace Of Mind

Valerie went home, nearly by force. There was nothing else she could do. Madam Picquery made sure of that. Her night was restless. Graves stayed at MACUSA. He had made finding out what was in Newt's case his top priority, leaving Newt, Jacob, and Tina to stay in a cell for the night with no answers. They were being treated like criminals, but they were far from that. At least in Valerie's eyes. 

She was in her kitchen, cleaning up, trying to distract herself, when the sound of her front door slamming could be heard from the other room. "What is it with people just barging in?" Valerie spoke to Daisy who was spread out on the wooden floor. She meowed in response.

"Valerie!" 

"Yes?" She asked, slightly annoyed, stepping out of the kitchen and into the hallway. 

"Where are they?" Graves questioned.

"Who?"

"Your friends. They've escaped custody."

"What?" She asked, with bewilderment. "I haven't..I haven't seen them. I've been here since you ordered me to go home." Valerie was a bit scared of him. She wasn't about to disobey him. He told her to go home. In return, she went and stayed. "What is going on?" She demanded answers.

"I just told you. They're missing, along with the case."

"No. There's something more. You're hiding something from me."

"Nothing for you to worry about."

"And yet, I'm worried. You can trust me." Valerie had a slight hint about what was happening, but she needed him himself to confirm it. She couldn't jump to conclusion and be wrong. That would only result in Graves thinking she was absolutely insane. It wouldn't get her anywhere.

"I know I can. You can trust me as well." He spoke with full honesty. "It isn't the time, my love. All will be revealed."

"You can't keep doing this to me." She began to cry in anger and frustration. All was revealed.

"Everything I do is for you. For us to have a better life. Do not worry." Graves walked over to Valerie and placed a soft lips upon her lips. A kiss in which she didn't return. Her mind was shot, running in every direction. Her heart was racing in her chest. Graves could feel her sudden rush of nervousness. He smirked knowing he was the cause. With that, he vanished. Valerie wasn't going to let him get away though. A wave of her hand and her clothes were changed, and she was out the door in a matter of seconds. 

She didn't know where to begin. Where could Graves had gone? As she walked down the street with no real destination in mind, she thought back to every moment she had with Graves. It wasn't a look back full of sentiment and love. Instead, she was looking for clues. Something that would point her in the right direction. Her mind drifted to last night and the chain Graves pulled from his desk. It was then her mind clicked. Everything fell into place. The Deathly Hallows. Why had it taken her so damn long to figure it out?

Walking into an empty alley, Valerie closed her eyes and allowed herself to concentrate. The necklace was the key. She focused solely on it and it led her to where she needed to be. When she opened her eyes again, she was still in an alley, but not that same one. Across the way, she saw him. Graves. Another young man was with him. They stood in close proximity and spoke in what appeared to be a hushed tone. 

She couldn't hear what they were saying, obviously, but she had a good view of Graves' face and could read his lips. He was speaking of a child. Then, he pulled the chain with the pendant from his pocket and placed it on the young man's neck. What was he doing? She wondered. Graves knew Valerie would be able to find him from the necklace and purposely gave it to Credence. His work wasn't finished and he didn't need Valerie getting in the way. She simply wouldn't understand.