Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I woke up screaming. Another nightmare. I've had the same one ever since I turned 16. The same dark eyes staring at me. The same sinister lips laughing at me. I have never told anyone because it would just add to my insanity of not yet going to Element School. Groaning, I got out of bed, ready to start another day.

"Good Morning, Alex!" my parents sang as I came downstairs. My little brother, Cole, grabbed my leg and hung on it. I tried to smile, but I'm really not a morning person so it didn't really come out like I planned.

"Aww, come on Alex," my dad frowned, then it suddenly turned in to a big smile, "Today could be your big day!" At that, I really did try to smile. My family knew how much it meant for me to go to EMS. They were just trying to make me feel better even though I should already be there. On your sixteenth birthday, someone was suppose to take you away to Element School so you could master your element. It has happened to everyone and once you turned twenty, you can come back to Earth or stay and teach if asked to. It has always happened that way, yet here I am. I am the first person to not have someone come for me.

"But it's okay if it's not. Remember, maybe it's just not ele-meant to be," my mother joked.

A few minutes later I ran back upstairs to finish getting ready. "Alex is gonna be late," Cole yelled from downstairs. I looked at the time. 7:40. He was right! I ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth and soon enough, I was out.

~*~

As soon as I got to school, I was on the lookout. Maybe someone was here for me. I wondered what element would favor me, if any. I could have the Water element, or maybe Fire would be my element, I could also have the Earth or Energy elements, it would also be pretty cool to have the Air element. As I was debating on which element might favor me, someone tapped me on the shoulder. Was this the person who would lead me to Element School? Would they happen to know anything about the element for me? As these questions were forming in my head, I spun around to see who tapped me. "Emily?" I asked, disappointment clear in my voice.

"No, it's the Easter Bunny," Emily laughed, "The bell just rang, its time for first period," she paused, "and don't worry, they will come." I frowned. Most people were sad to go to Element School because they would have to leave behind their family, but they also had a bit of excitement. On the other hand, I can't wait. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but I can't wait to find out my element. If I even have one.

As I got to class, all the seats were filled up except for one. I quickly ran for that seat before the teacher saw that I was late. I'm definitely not a goodie-two-shoes or anything, but let's just say another tardy wouldn't help. "Late again, Ms. Young?" Ms. Paver pointed out. Aww man caught again, I thought. I slowly turned around to face her. A few people started laughing, but Ms. Paver ignored them. I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off by Ms. Paver, "Go to the office and get a slip before I say your skipping." My parents would not like to hear that, so I quickly turned to go out the door.

"Off to see my best friend," I mumbled sarcastically before leaving. A few kids giggled at that but they were quickly silenced by Ms. Paver. I walked to the principal with nothing more than a frown on my face.

"What have you done now Alex?" Principal Weaver said, sighing as I walked in.

"Nothing really," I replied, "I just need a late pass."

"Again?" Principal Weaver asked.

"Yes," I snapped, "So can I have one?"

Principal Weaver just sighed and pulled out a pass to sign.

"Just try not to be late again, okay Alex?" he told me as I grabbed the pass.

"Fine," I muttered. I spun around and got out of there as quickly as possible. I hated that place. I've been there so many times I know it like it's my own room. It's not that I'm a bad person, I just have a lot of great ideas that don't go the way I plan and I just end up here. Like once, I had a great idea to see how hot the Bunsen burner could get before the water on it evaporated. Ava and I were partners for our science experiment. I told Ava about my experiment and she agreed on it. While Mrs. Johnson wasn't looking I turned the Bunsen burner on high. Ava didn't seem to notice what I was doing so she put her hand on it and burnt herself. She said that I burned her on purpose. Since no teacher in this whole school likes me, and everyone likes Ava, Mrs. Johnson blamed me. And that is one of the many times I found myself in the office.