The Last Goodbye

This was the day Connie had been dreading. The day where it would actually become real that he'd gone. It was the day of Adam's funeral. Connie was taking Melissa, only because she thought it right that her daughter got to say goodbye the way she would, although Adam's parents didn't agree. With Melissa asleep, Connie crept down the stairs and into the kitchen. It was so empty without him, the whole house was so empty without him. Connie sighed before opening one of the cupboards for a mug. She sat on a stall, not thinking or doing anything, just staring at the front door. She longed for all this to be one of Adam's practical jokes and that he'd come in through the door any moment smiling and laughing, but she knew no matter what, it would never happen. After hearing Melissa upstairs, Connie got up from her seat and headed for the stairs. 

Connie entered Melissa's bedroom and saw her daughter snuggled under her duvet with her head buried in her pillow. Connie placed her mug on the bedside table before perching herself on the bed. "Hey baby, mummy's here".  Upon hearing her mother's voice Melissa climbed onto her mother's lap and buried her head in her chest. Connie kissed her temple and stroked her hair. "We best get you ready baby" Connie hinted. Melissa stayed where she was. Connie knew today was going to be a long one. "Why were Nana and Grandpa shouting at you last night mummy?" Melissa mumbled. Connie didn't know what to say. She was annoyed enough at the fact they had accused her of not being able to take care of Melissa properly, now she was even more angered because her little girl had heard them and it was upsetting her even more than she already was. What was she going to say? "They were just upset over loosing daddy princess" she answered, hoping Melissa wouldn't push it any further. "Do we have to say goodbye mummy? I don't want to yet" Melissa cried. Connie tried to hold back the tears that were forming in her eyes while attempting to clear her throat before answering. "I'm afraid so Liss, but I promise you he's still watching over us" . Melissa noticed the crack in her mother's voice and looked up to see glistening tears falling down her cheeks. "Please don't cry mummy, daddy wouldn't want you to be sad and me don't like it either" Melissa whispered while brushing her hand over her mother's cheeks in an attempt to wipe away her tears. Connie smiled at her daughter's pursuit to make her happy again rather than leave her upset. Upon seeing her mother's smile, Melissa smiled back. 

After a long struggle of getting Melissa and herself ready, Connie was shutting the front door where the hearse and car had pulled up. Connie could see Adam's parents walking down the road towards her. She picked up Liss, who naturally wrapped her arms around her neck, before walking down the front path to meet them. "Connie", Adam's parents greeted her. "John, Sarah", she greeted them back. John put a hand to Connie's shoulder, which she immediately shrugged off. She wasn't gonna have him pretending he cared, especially after last night. "Lets get this over with shall we?" Connie said before leaving them and heading for the car. She sat Melissa on her lap, who was huddled into her, while Sarah and John stared at her in disbelief. Connie just ignored them. She couldn't be dealing with them on top of everything else. The journey dragged and it felt like it had been an eternity to Connie before they actually got to their destination, the crematorium. 

Connie carried Melissa inside, with Adam's parents following suit. She couldn't deal with the whole 'I'm sorry for your loss' charade. Connie was suppose to say something during the service but she didn't know if she had it in her and also Liss needed her. She couldn't afford to breakdown in front of everyone least of all her daughter and Adam's parents. She knew they'd just add it to the list of things they thought wouldn't benefit their grandchild. 'Benefit her my ass' Connie thought.  Connie knew they'd use anything to hurt her, unfortunately they were now using Liss, knowing that it would hurt her the most. Connie had to go up for her reading but Liss was holding on to her. Sarah being Sarah, hauled Liss off Connie and pushed Connie forward. Connie wanted to hit the woman right there and then but knew it wouldn't make a difference. Instead Connie weakly smiled at her daughter as a reassurance that it wouldn't be for long. 

Connie's reading :

My hands shake with sorrow

My heart it bleeds with pain 

My soul forever lingers 

Wishing you could have stayed

The trouble we faced

Is that we believed we had time

When in reality 

That was never on our side

But in your absence 

There is something that keeps me sane 

The daughter we created 

On a very special day 

In her eyes

I will remember you 

In my heart 

I will never forget 

Of the memories that we all created and shared

So please save me a place 

A place beside you 

So that when I go 

I can be with you! 

Connie rushed back to her daughter and took her from Sarah. Melissa snuggled back into her mum, her whole body quivering. "Alright baby, almost done" Connie whispered in her daughter's ear while rubbing her hand up and down the little girl's back. "Mummy you did really well" Melissa's voice shook. Connie smiled down at Melissa for the comment she had made and placed her forehead on her daughter's and wiped the remaining tears away. 

As the curtains were drawn, Connie knew this was it. The final time she'd get to say goodbye. Liss peered up from her mother's chest and Connie placed a reassuring hand to her head before placing a kiss on her temple. "Mummy, as long as I have you I'll be happy"  Liss murmured. "And as long as I have my baby girl I'll be happy too princess" Connie said softly before shutting her eyes, while hugging her little girl, as she tried to picture a way forward from this for the both of them...