Time is a gift

On hearing the news Connie ran as fast as her legs would carry her to Melissa's room. She saw Melissa as white as a sheet, staring up at the ceiling, tears in her eyes. Connie pushed the door and entered the room. "Liss" she murmured. Liss looked at her mum, she didnt say anything but her eyes said it all. Connie sat next to Liss on the bed and cuddled her while Liss cried into her mums chest.

"Mum I can't do this again. I can't loose you again" Liss cries. "Ssh from what I've heard you beat it once before, there's no reason you can't do it again. As for loosing me, you won't. Not now, not ever ok?" Connie reassured Liss. Liss nodded slightly, "mum I'm scared". More tears drip down Liss's face. Connie wipes her daughter's cheeks, "I'll be right here through it all, I promise baby. We will beat this together ok". Connie kisses Liss's head.

Soon Liss was asleep and Connie was sat huddled on Jacob's lap. "I can't believe Sarah kept this from us Jay". "I know sweetcheeks, but lets focus on Liss ok. She's our priority". Connie nods her head in agreement before staring back to Melissa. "She looks so pale muscles" Connie mutters. "It'll be ok sweetcheeks, we will do whatever it takes to get her well again".

Matthew's footsteps could be heard pattering down the corridor to Liss's room, along with Louisa and Grace running after him trying to stop him from making a racket. "Mummmyy" Matthew squealed upon entering the room. Connie lifted him up and spun him around, his laughter filling the room. "Mummmy i cuddle Lissy" Matthew pleaded. "Ok baby boy but be careful because she isn't very well at the moment". Matthew nodded before climbing onto a chair and up on to Liss's bed before curling into her side. Grace and Louisa stood by the door unsure of what to say or do. Conniw turned around seeing their sad faces. Connie crouched down in front of them, "what's wrong my princesses?" Grace was the first to speak, "when you said she was ill we didn't realise it was this bad. She doesn't look like our big sister anymore" Grace tried to force back the tears. "She is going to fight this Gracie, she'll be back to being your cool big sister very soon ok" Connie tried comforting her next eldest daughter. Grace looked to Liss before going over to her and laying next to her like Matthew. Connie looked to Louisa, tears streaming down her face. "Lou, baby, come here". Louisa tiptoed to Connie getting on her lap and curling into Connie's chest. Connie stroked Louisa's hair trying to soothe her. Lou was the closest to Liss out of the three, and it was breaking her. Connie kissed Louisa's temple, "mummys here baby, I'm right here".  Louisa looked up at her mum, "can we all stay here tonight, I want to stay with Lissy". Connie smiled down at Lou not wanting to ruin any hope she possibly had. "Of course baby girl". Louisa got up off of Connie and curled up at the foot of Liss's bed. Connie smiled at the closeness of all her children.

Jacob stood up and strolled over to Connie and wrapped his arms tightly around her. He kissed her cheek before whispering "she will get through this sweetcheeks, she's just like you. Strong, independent, stubborn, a fighter, intelligent, beautiful, funny. You just watch, she'll beat this". Connie turned into his chest, "I hope so Jacob, I really do". He kissed her forehead and stroked her brown curls until she eventually fell asleep. He looked around the room ar his family and hoped this wouldn't be the ending of them...