Home Truths

Liss woke to see her mum crouched down beside her, running her fingers through her hair. "Morning baby, you sleep ok?" 

"Hmmmmm" 

"Looks like you're still tired princess" 

"I'll be alright, just give me a minute. Mornings aren't my strong point" Liss mumbled. 

"Does someone need a mummy cuddle?" Connie chuckled. 

Liss threw back her duvet for Connie to climb in. Connie slid in beside Liss, who instantly snuggled into her side. Connie wrapped her arm around her protectively and kissed the top of her head. "We are all going out for lunch to meet a few of mine and Jacob's work friends and their kids, you wanna come?"

"Sure. What's there names?" 

"Brace yourself, there's quite a few. So you have Jac, who's been a close friend of mine since I was 19. Then you have Johnny, Jac's partner and their 11 year old daughter Emma, who is also my goddaughter. I had to do the whole stand up in a church thing and that was not my cup of tea at all. We have Zoe, whose now a close friend but we use to strongly dislike each other. You have her partner Max, who is the biggest fool I've ever met but he is rather sweet. They adopted two girls, Mia and Bella who are 14 and 7. Then you have Charlie, he's like a dad to me, he knows everything about you. There will also be Alicia, whose like a younger sister to me, she'll love you. You also have her partner Ethan. Ethan's brother Cal won't be there because him and Ethan don't get on because Alicia use to be Cal's girlfriend. Robyn will also be there along with Louise as they are Alicia's best friends. Then we've got Guy, whose like a brother to me and we've also got Elliot who also happens to be like a dad to me. You learnt all those?" 

Liss stared at Connie and said, "how the heck am I suppose to remember all those?"

Connie laughed. "Don't worry, I'll remind you if needs be. Right missy you need to get dressed and fast. I want you downstairs in 20" 

"Got it miss bossy" Liss said sarcastically. 

Connie smiled while kissing her daughter's forehead and leaving the room. 

Liss swung herself out of bed, and flung open her wardrobe. She didn't have much to choose from as she'd not packed a lot. Eventually she chose a red skater skirt with a black top and a beige cardigan and her nude coloured heeled ankle boots. She applied some make up and put her hair in a messy bun, not caring how it looked. Liss raced down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Mum, is this ok?" Liss said sounding worried that she wouldn't like it. Connie walked over to her, "you look beautiful baby". Liss grinned upon hearing her mums comment. 

Connie and Liss left before all the others as Connie wanted to take Liss shopping for some more clothes as Liss mentioned she hadn't had much to choose from. They were picking clothes off the rails when Liss said "how do you look so perfect mum?". Connie hung her head and smiled at her daughter's thoughtfulness.

 "I'm just me baby, hardly perfect". 

"I wish I looked as nice as you" 

"What are you on about princess? You are gorgeous"

"I just don't like my body that's all. Never have really" 

"Hmmmm, I'll change that" 

Liss had tried on several outfits and picked her favourites, which Connie paid for before they headed to the restaurant to meet everyone else.

Connie sat next to Jac and Zoe who began talking to her about Liss. "She seems like a lovely girl. I can't believe you never told us" Zoe said.