That Fateful Night

Connie paced the floor, rocking Melissa in her arms because Adam still wasn't home. "Ssh, he'll be home soon baby" Connie soothed while her hand rubbed up and down Melissa's back. It had been an hour since he had text her to say he was leaving work. It wasn't like him to be this long and it was only a ten minute journey. Connie tried ringing him again with Melissa getting more upset in her arms. Her worry increased with every ring she heard. Still no answer. She cursed under her breath, trying not to let it get to her so Melissa wouldn't become any worse. "Mummy, daddy promised" Melissa cried into Connie's chest. "I know princess, I know. I'm sure daddy has a good reason" Connie tried to reassure her although she wasn't all that certain herself. Something didn't sit right with Connie and it was killing her. She tried to call him again several times, but nothing. It just went straight to voicemail. All the possible scenarios ran through Connie's head, which all made the hurt inside her grow. Connie was increasingly becoming more stressed, with still no Adam and a very upset Melissa. Connie tried to get Melissa to sleep but it just wasn't working. "Please Liss, mummy needs you to go to sleep baby" Connie pleaded. "But me want to stay with you mummy until daddy's home" Liss whined. Connie sighed knowing this was going to be long and tiresome if Adam didn't turn up soon. 

An hour later, there was a knock at the door. Connie was at her wits end. 'Who the hell would be knocking on my door right now' she thought. Melissa wriggled in Connie's arms, still upset that her daddy wasn't home and feeling how anxious her mummy was. "Alright Liss" Connie whispered in her daughters ear as she went to answer the door. Connie opened the door to reveal two police officers. She had to admit, she was slightly stunned to see them stood there. "Are you Miss Connie Amelia Chase?" one of them questioned. "Yes I am, why?" Connie queried. Both policemen removed their hats and Connie had to stop herself from collapsing on the floor. "We regret to have to inform you that Mr Adam Thomas Atkinson was killed after being in a severe car accident on Portly Avenue. He died on the way to hospital".  Connie forgot she had Melissa in her arms till she heard her cries get louder. "Its ok baby, mummy's here". "We'll come back tomorrow at a more suitable hour to discuss what happens now Miss Chase, and again we are sorry for your loss" the other policeman stated before both left the doorstep and retreated back to their car at the front of the house. 

Connie closed the door behind her and fell to the floor with Melissa still clinging on to her. "Mummy, daddy gone" Melissa whimpered. Connie looked into her daughter's sad eyes and didn't know what to say. It broke her heart to hear her baby say that but at the same time she knew it was true. How was she suppose to explain this to her little girl? Connie got up, Melissa still in her embrace. She found the nearest window and opened the curtain. "Which is the brightest star baby?" Connie asked. "That one mummy" Melissa said quietly whilst pointing at one of the stars. "Well that's daddy looking down on you and I. See baby, daddy will never truly be gone. He's always watching over us" Connie told her daughter while trying to hold back her tears, knowing that if she let them fall they wouldn't stop. 

Connie managed to get Melissa to fall asleep in her arms, so carried her up the stairs and placed her in her and Adam's bed. She covered Liss with the duvet before going to exit the room. When she reached the door she turned back and looked at her sleeping child. 'She deserves better than this' Connie thought before leaving the room. Connie sat on the windowsill staring into space, her hands wrapped around a mug of hot tea. "Why you babe, why you?" she cried into her knees. She knew everything was going to change now. Adam was their source of income and now he was gone. There was no way she could afford everything that they had currently, even on benefits or her working part time. On top of that she'd lost her other half of her heart, the father to her baby girl. "What am I going to do Adam?" Connie spoke to herself. 

Connie was still crying on the windowsill when she heard Melissa calling for her from upstairs. Connie got off the window ledge and hurried up the stairs, making sure to dry her eyes before entering the room. Connie got on the bed with her daughter and stroked her hair. "It's ok baby, mummy's got you". "You're not going to leave too mummy" Melissa mumbled. "I'm not going anywhere baby, I promise you" Connie soothed before placing a kiss on her daughter's head and letting her drift back off to sleep with Melissa's arms still wrapped around her waist.