Home Sweet Home

Phone call from Liss to her granddad...

'Hi Gramps, I've found mum' Liss beamed.

'That's great sweetie, I'd love to stay and chat, but your Nana will be back soon and I guessed you didn't want her to know' John said sweetly.

'No I didn't, I'm done with her but I'll always talk to you' Liss smiled as she spoke.

'Thank you Liss, anyway speak later. Love you' John said quietly.

'Bye Gramps, I'll be in touch soon. Love you too' Liss said before hanging up. 

No sooner had Liss hung up, Connie entered the room. "You're ready to be discharged now Liss".

"Ok, sounds stupid but where will I go?" Liss mumbled.

"With me of course" Connie stated.

Liss grinned as her mum said this.

"Now there are some things you should know before we leave. I have a husband, Jacob, but that does not mean I don't love your father because I do. Jacob's a lot like him actually. I also have three other children. Grace, who I call Gracie, whose 10, Louisa, who I call Lou, whose 7 and Matthew, who I call Mattie or Matt depending on my mood, whose 5. However, all that being said, you will always be my baby girl, my princess" Connie explained.

"Mum, I didn't expect you to remain single and without children. In fact I did hope you'd marry and have more kids. I'm just sad I missed all that" Liss continued.

"Aw baby, I'm the one that's sad I missed out on 14 years of my little girl's life. I know I should have done more than write some measly letters" Connie said, gradually getting quieter.

"I know what Nana said to you about me hating you, which was by the way not true, I'd have done the same in your shoes" Liss replied.

"Where did my little girl go, whose favorite film was 'The Little Mermaid', who was scared of spiders, who believed in Neverland and fairies? You've grown up so much" Connie cried.

"I'm still here. My favorite film is still 'The Little Mermaid', I'm still terrified of spiders. I did stop believing the other two a long time ago though" Liss laughed.

"Well I'm glad somethings never change" Connie chuckled.

"You do know I've never stopped thinking about you, I wear the locket you and dad gave me everyday, I still sleep with my ratty teddy bear you gave me too" Liss said while looking down at her hands, not wanting to show her mum how much hurt she had felt.

Connie lifted up Liss's face and stroked her cheek when she saw the pain in her daughter's eyes and the tears that threatened to spill. "Oh baby, if I had known they'd been lying to us both I would have come for you. I know I should have come anyway and I am sorry" Connie whispered. 

"I spoke to them, cried my eyes out to them about you and they still didn't tell me. I was never allowed to speak to Gramps by himself, Nana probably guessed he'd tell me the truth. She was always saying things to lower my opinion of you like how I deserved better, she thinks I can't remember much before I moved in with them but I remember so much. I couldn't picture how you and I had gone from that to nothing. The memories of us was what kept me going, through the fights, the bullying, the self harm and depression, the alcohol and smoking. I wanted to give up, to end my torture. One day I decided I didn't want to live, not without you. I was on the school roof, I stupidly rang Gramps to say goodbye. He didn't tell Nana much of what happened, only  that he just managed to catch me from jumping off a roof and that if she didn't tell me everything, he would. That's when I walked in, that's how I was given the letters. It's why I'm still talking to Gramps but not Nana. I guess you think its all stupid, how bad I got" Liss reeled.

"Princess, I never meant for you to get like that, had I known I would have been there. I should have been there anyway. I knew what Sarah was like I should have seen through her lies. It's all my fault you got like that, you shouldn't blame yourself. But I'm here now, and I won't let anything come between us  again. I promise. Now how about we go home" 

Liss smiled and wrapped her hands around her mother. Connie kissed her daughter's head as they left the ED entrance. 

It was around 1am by the time they'd parked outside the house. Liss was silent. "The kids should be in bed but Jacob will still be up. No doubt waiting for me. He knows who you are and that you're coming. I know he's not your dad Liss but I do love him."

"I  can see it in your eyes. Just promise me that he'll  go at my pace. I've never been good at letting people in, seeing my countless flaws, seeing me"

"I can promise you he will. He did for me" 

Both ladies un-clipped their seat-belts and got out the car before heading to the front door. Connie pushed open the door with some force. "It jars, hence why I shoved it" Connie said. Liss followed her mum into the hallway, it looked stunning, more than she'd every imagined, bigger than she'd imagined too. 

Liss was bought out of her trance by her mother speaking. "Jay this is Liss. Liss this is Jacob"

"Pleased to meet you" Liss said. 

"Likewise" Jacob answered.

"Now Liss, I'll show you to your room. Jacob I'll meet you in our room"

Connie entered the 5th room. It had a double bed, massive wardrobe, several chest of drawers, two bedside tables and lamps, a study and an en suite bathroom. "I know it doesn't feel like it yet but this is your room". Connie said.

"Um why's Liss on the wall, and why did it say Liss's room on the door?" Liss questioned.

"When Jacob and I were looking for houses, I told him I wanted a room for you. One nobody could use but you. On bad days I often found myself sat in here, thinking of you. Trying to imagine what you were like. The other three know who you are, Gracie is the only one who fully understands the situation. She adores you, they all do. They all know when to stay clear of me, when I'm missing you most, your birthday being one and the anniversary of your father's death being another. Every year on your birthday and at Christmas I put money in a locked box, I never knew when you'd be in my life again, why buy you gifts you may not use or want as much as I wanted to. So I put money in a box which is in a draw in mine and Jacob's room, so that when or if you came back into my life you could buy what you wanted. I never forgot about you Liss"  Connie explained, tears flowing down her cheeks.

Liss strolled across the room and wrapped her arms around her mum. Tears soaking her mother's dress, which Connie still hadn't changed out of. 

"I love you mum"

"I love you more Liss"

"Not possible" 

"Yes, it's so possible"

Hope you all enjoyed this update. Sorry it took so long. Xxx