Gone for the Ride

Chapter IV - Gone for the Ride

"Wake me" by Aicvi

Dian

Darkness was closing in, the sky purple and blue, fog started to creep along the forest floor. Creatures of unknown names make their last call for the night and the others come out. Gyrin slowed down and walked beside Dian, his motions watchful instead of playful as much as he was earlier.

They had been up to running around and playing through the forest for hours now, Anthony slowly keeping up with them.

"Um, what happens when it gets dark here?" Dian asked quietly looking around. She couldn't see through the shadows any longer and had to strain her eyes to watch where she was going.

"Its best not to find out. We'll make shelter here." Anthony stopped and dragged out the tent. Dian helped him set it up, Gyrin just watched with curiousness in his eyes.

By the time the tent was set, and they had made a small fire it was night time. By the light of the fire, Dian held the leather book Owen had given her.

She flipped through the pages, lots of sketches of creatures she didn't recognize. Though she was looking for one specific faery.

She stopped when the word Ghillie Dhu was printed in cursive on the page. There was a sketch of one, a tall boy with long black hair as dark as the night sky, its eyes as deep brown as the tree bark, moss hung on his strong shoulders. He was beautiful, mystical.

"What are you looking at? Dian nearly jumped out of her skin. Gyrin was sitting next to her looking over her shoulder, obviously curious and pocking his nose in to things. Dian blushed a bit and pulled the book away from him.

"Um, nothing."

Anthony huffed. "Don't even try."

Dian glared at him turning the fire but then went back to Gyrin. He was smiling at her.

"You know if you're curious I can just answer any questions you'd like."

Dian studied Gyrin closely. His eyes were glittering, but there was no hidden thoughts within them. Looking at the sketch and then at Gyrin, she couldn't really imagine that they were the same thing.

"Okay, well. How do you know a Ghillie Dhu from a Tree Nymp?" Dian asked remembering something about nymps when Owen would start getting in to all his myths.

They were real though. She felt bad for not believing him, and for leaving him.

"Well, we all have black hair and usually resemble our tree." Gyrin took on a look of longing. "Mine is small, young, therefor I am too. And considering its a palm tree, I have palm leafs. The tree nymps on the other hand are actually part of the tree, their bodies are like the tree, and their hair leafs. They can't leave their tree more than a few feet. I can though, but its not comfortable."

"You miss your tree?"

Gyrin nodded sadly. "I do, but I'd rather help y'all." He shrugged.

Dian looked back at the book reading it. It did mention something about them having black hair. "What about some like, traits, characteristics?"

Gyrin smiled. He seemed happy to talk. Dian wondered how many people he's actually been around. "Well, we're pretty friendly usually, mostly with children. We're considered wild and shy." Gyrin was shy at first, still a bit but he was also pretty wild and playful. "We are most active at night but that's not always true, neither is about the loving of birch tree part." He pointed at her book.