Back to Beretha

The Coronation was a rapid affair driven by political expediency. The King was proclaimed and anointed. Those nobles of Salicia present, which included the old King's daughter, made their obeisance and swore an oath of allegiance.

Once that was done a series of proclamations were made. The country was called on to bear loyalty to the new King. The militia were called out to restore order and work with the friendly forces of Cottalem.

The Earl of Beretha sent his own emphatic message. The heads of several Cottalemese merchants were delivered by a courier.

#

The following morning I dressed in my travelling clothes and went for breakfast with Rojden and Noren. Noren was late.
'Good morning, dear Yngvild' Rojden said.
'Morning. Is Noren not down yet?'
'I'm sure he'll be along in time to see you off.'
'Isn't he coming with me?'
'No, he's staying here with me.'
'Oh. I thought we were going together.'
'I've got other plans for Noren. But I understand that you lead all the dealings with the Earl when you visited.'
I didn't answer, and focused on getting some food. This wasn't what I'd agreed to.
'You're annoyed at me.' Rojden said.
I just looked at him and wished he'd change his mind.
'Do the job and you and Noren will get some time alone.'
'Do you have any other surprises in store for me?'
'Well I was going to send you with Major Duerte and a troop of cavalry as an escort.'
'Why so many?'
'They need the reinforcements to help close down Beretha. You may as well ride with them on the way there.'
I finished off the rest of my breakfast in silence. I was too angry to talk. There was no sign of Noren, so nothing to lift my mood.

At the stables Trooper Jerre was waiting, he smiled when he saw me.
'I've got you whiteface again. You seemed to work well together.' he said.
'Thank you.'
'We're all saddled up and ready to ride.'
'I need my battle gear.'
'You have battle gear?' Jerre looked puzzled.
'Of course, doesn't everyone?'
Jerre shook his head. 'No. Only soldiers have battle gear. You aren't a soldier, my lady'
'Where I come from we all have it, just in case the raiders come.'
'I don't think we've got any spare, we'd need to see the Q M about it.'
'I don't want your battle gear, I want my own back. It was on the pack horse that followed us in.'
'Oh. Maybe we should ask the Corporal then. He might know.'
Jerre pulled my forearm to indicate that I should follow as he turned to leave the stables. 
Outside the troopers were mostly holding horses and checking straps and harnesses. A couple were mounted already. A short muscular trooper bustled around checking on the others. His uniform fitted really closely on his body, but the sleeves were rumpled and the trousers folded up. A single line of white trim round his cuffs marked him out as a little more special than the other troopers.
'Corporal! The lady wants her battle gear back. Says she's not going anywhere without it.' Jerre said.
It was a little farther than I'd expected, but I certainly agreed with the sentiment.
The Corporal turned from checking readiness and came over.
'I was told to give you it back at Beretha.' he said.
'I want to make its all ready before I need it. I didn't get a chance to clean it or stow it properly before it was taken away.' Let me have my battle gear I thought at him.
'No harm in you checking it over. It's on the pack horse there' the Corporal pointed out the pack horse.
Jerre and I went over. Jerre helped me unstrap the shield, which was fine. One of the pouches held my mail, which had gone slightly rusty, and another my padded jacket. I put both on.
I took a moment to handle Jafnadr, pretending to check how clean she was.
I hadn't forgotten you, they just wouldn't let me keep you. I thought.
'Don't worry. I understand, I've had my own eyes and ears looking out for you.' Jafnadr replied.
We'll talk properly later. I slid Jafnadr back into her scabbard and put it on over my mail. I also took my quiver and bow. They were good, someone had even lightly oiled the bow.
I decided to leave the shield on the pack horse. I wasn't sure how I would carry it on horseback. One day in the saddle wasn't enough to turn me into a mounted warrior.
No-one sees my armour I thought.
'I'm good now. Thank you Jerre.' I smiled at him.
'At your service, my lady' Jerre bowed.
I beamed at him, I was beginning to think Jerre liked me. The advantage of being a young woman.

We mounted up and rode out. No-one commented on my being armed. Once out of the castle we broke into a trot. I almost fell off, but Jerre rode close and steadied my arm. I got used to it, and the troop made a good pace up the Great Western Road, the countryside swept past. We overtook marching men moving North towards Beretha. Off to the flanks of our route we saw cavalry patrols. Ordinary people worked in the fields bringing their harvests in, chopping wood, tending animals and the thousands of other things people do to scrape a living from the land. Only a few watched us pass. I guess the novelty of an army passing fades fast.

We stopped briefly for lunch and to rest the horses in a random pasture. We ate bread, cheese and ham from the pack horse. We drank water from our own bottles and Jerre refilled ours from a stream. The Horses got oats from a bag attached to their harnesses. They also got an opportunity to drink from the stream.

After lunch we carried on towards Beretha. A pillar of smoke dominated the horizon.
'That doesn't look good for someone.' I said.
'No. I'm guessing their house is on fire.' Jerre said.
When we crested the hill I got a good look down into Beretha. The city mostly sat on the Eastern side of the river against the sea. Some of it had spread across to the left bank, over a wooden swing bridge that opened to let ships pass up and down the river. That was what was burning.
Around the city a series of makeshift barriers had been thrown up to prevent cavalry charging in. Many people with spades and shovels seemed to be digging earthworks, protected by small groups of archers. It looked like the entire population was out in the surrounding fields.
Closer to us a similar process was happening. The army of Cottalem was digging itself in to encircle the city. A row of barges were lashed across the river a mile upstream of the burning bridge.

We were approaching from the South on the right bank. Our path took us past the bridge of boats. Some sentries directed us to the back of a hill half a mile south east of the city. We found a village of tents, including a working field kitchen. I wondered if it was the same one that had fed me a few days ago.

Major Duerte came over as I dismounted.
'My lady Yngvild, my orders are to escort you to the city, to render you any assistance that you require and to return with you. What do you need?'
'I'll need someone to get me past the sentries, on your side. After that I can manage fine on my own.'
'Corporal, you and Jerre can accompany us. Dismiss the others to their duties.'
'Yes, sir.'
'I think we should eat first.' I said.
'I'll arrange that, my lady.' the Corporal said.
Jerre busied himself looking after our horses, taking their saddles off, feeding and watering them.

From here I would walk into Beretha.