Chapter 15

Four days later, Mabel was still sulking. She was up in the attic with Waddles, watching Danny and Dipper heading toward the woods on this beautiful summer morning. They were talking and laughing as they strolled away from the Shack. She'd never felt so isolated before. No matter what had happened in the past, Dipper had always been by her side. Now without him, she realized how much she relied on his company. Even if they disagreed sometimes, she needed him.

She lay on her bed, propping up Waddles next to her. "What am I going to do, Waddles?" she asked him sadly. "I just want them to include me..."

"That can be arranged," said a snide, nasal voice.

Mabel turned with a jump as the world became black and white, and a familiar triangular figure appeared in the air above her. Waddles squealed in fear and dashed under Mabel's bed.

"Hiya, Shooting Star," said Bill. "Looks like you could use some help."

"Not from you!" Mabel said angrily. "What do you want?"

Bill looked as offended as a one-eyed triangle could. "I just want to help, kid. Seriously, even I understand what it's like to feel left out." He actually looked somewhat sincere. "I can help you."

Mabel wasn't sure that any of Bill's methods would end up well, even if he really did want to help her. But she was tempted. She knew she'd regret asking, but she replied. "What do you mean?"

"I can guarantee you'll be included with Pine Tree and Deadman. No effort on your part, and I won't even mess with their minds. I'll just make sure they don't leave you out."

"Why would you help me, though?" Mabel asked suspiciously.

Bill shrugged. "You might have gone against me in the past, but no one should have to go through complete isolation. Least I can do, Shooting Star." He looked like he really understood how she was feeling. Being so alone was taking a toll on her.

She was willing to do almost anything in order to have some fun with Dipper again. And maybe even have a chance at Danny! But still.... "You promise it won't hurt them?" She asked, just to be sure.

"Trust me, kid, I'm only gonna do one thing and then they'll pay attention to you." he held out a hand wreathed in blue fire. "Deal?"

Mabel took a deep breath. "Okay, then." She reached out and took the demon's hand.

Immediately she felt a ripping sensation deep inside her, and a fleeting but excruciating moment of pain. When she was aware again, she felt oddly suppressed and trapped. But nothing seemed to be different, except-

"Wow, you sure are gullible, Shooting Star." Bill's voice came out of her mouth. "After the puppet deal with Pine Tree, you should have been more careful."

Mabel tried to scream, but nothing happened. She tried to run, but her legs wouldn't work.

Bill's insane laughter erupted from her. "Nice try, kid, but you have no control here. I couldn't risk you warning the others like Pine Tree did, so I'm keeping you in here with me. But you're gonna be trapped inside your own body for a long time." He laughed wildly again, and Mabel's consciousness tried to cry.