Chapter 3

Danny stood outside the questionable shack. He hadn't anticipated his sudden induction into a local family, but it might make his job easier. If Mabel didn't lock him in her closet for safekeeping, that is.

"Allow me to show you around the amazing Mystery Shack!" Stan said dramatically.

"Um, were you wearing that eyepatch earlier?" Danny asked.

Stan ignored him. "If you'll follow me inside, the first thing you're gonna see is the incredible Sascrotch!"

Danny endured the ridiculous tour, but saw absolutely nothing that looked genuine or posed an actual threat.

"Sorry about him." Dipper said after Danny finished with the tour and was looking around the gift shop. "I'm guessing that's not exactly what you meant when you said you wanted to see weird stuff."

Danny laughed. "Yeah, not quite."

"Hey, Danny," Mabel said from her perch atop the counter, "Why don't you crash here? You said you were staying a few days."

Danny was startled. "Oh, I was going to look for a hotel..."

"I don't think that there are any hotels in Gravity Falls." Dipper said pensively.

"That's weird..." Danny said. He shivered a bit, and a wisp of misty breath escaped his mouth, even though it was close to 80 degrees. Dipper was the only one who noticed.

"I'm sure Soos wouldn't mind lending you his break room." Mabel said excitedly.

"Boom. Done." Soos said, passing behind the trio while sweeping.

"Woah, woah, woah, hold on." Grunkle Stan said. "I'm not letting some random stranger stay in this house."

"What if I pay rent?" Danny asked.

"Soos, show the guy to his room." Stan flipped his story faster than a tourist's wallet.

"I got it!" Mabel said. "This way, Danny." They walked into the main house.

"So, you really want to stay here? You barely know us." Dipper asked suspiciously.

"I've got my reasons." Danny said vaguely. Then he hurriedly continued, "I mean, you seem like pretty cool people, and if you two do know all about the weird stuff in this town, then I want to stick with you."

Mabel squealed.