Chapter 16

Deep in the Ghost Zone, Skulker returned to the Ghost Council with a report.

"The Phantom boy is preventing me from collecting the ten members of the zodiac." Skulker said, "He does not understand the danger we are in!"

"Surely you can find a way around him," one Observant said.

"Have you managed to locate all ten members yet?" Another Observant asked.

Skulker looked annoyed. "I have located all but one. The six-fingered hand still eludes me. It is as if he isn't even their world-"

"Impossible," An Observant overrode his protests. "Those humans have no access to the Ghost Zone, and any other dimension would be extremely difficult to break through to. You have not searched hard enough."

Skulker ground his teeth in anger that anyone would question his hunting skills. "Fine, I'll keep looking, but the whelp will continue to try to thwart my capture of the zodiac. We need to incapacitate him."

"Don't worry," Clockwork spoke up for the first time. "He will be kept busy for the current time. The Cipher demon has entered their world, and the boy is the perfect person to stop him from growing in power. All will be as it should be."

The Observants looked at each other uneasily, as they had always disliked Clockwork's interpretation of the future. "Are you sure-?" One of them said, but Clockwork cut him off.

"Sometimes we must interfere and sometimes we should not. Let what will happen happen."

Clockwork's vague answer did not please the Observants. One continued as if this last comment hadn't been voiced.

"If the Phantom boy will be busy deterring the demon, then you must capture as many of the zodiac as you can, Skulker." The Observant glared at Skulker. "Before the demon gains too much power."

"I will," Skulker said, nodding curtly at the panel of Observants and then again at Clockwork. He wasn't sure how well his mission would go, but he trusted Clockwork, and he was not voicing any other objections.

"Then go," An Observant said, "And be as quick as you can."

Skulker nodded again and activated his suit, flying back to the portal that would take him to the human world.