Chapter 22

Skulker lead Danny and the twins to a natural ghost portal hidden deep in a cavern. Dipper's eyes went wide when he saw the otherworldly swirl of green. "Is that-?"

"A portal to the Ghost Zone." Danny said. "Sometimes they appear naturally in your world. I'm honestly not surprised there's one here in Gravity Falls." He turned to Skulker. "How stable is it?"

"As stable as natural portals can be," Skulker replied. "There is something about this place that keeps it open."

"Figures." Danny looked at the twins. "Okay, it's going to get a little weird in there, but stick close to me and you'll be fine." He picked up each of them in one arm and flew straight into the portal.

Dipper closed his eyes as they entered the Ghost Zone. The air was cooler in here, and felt a little bit sticky. Dipper blinked his eyes open again and gasped. They were soaring around a sort of greenish Twilight Zone. There was no terrain at all, just floating objects and doors in random places.

"Which way, Skulker?" Danny asked.

Skulker sped up, going past them. "Just follow me, whelp."

Danny rolled his eyes and sped up too. Dipper couldn't help gazing around in wonder at this strange new world. He caught Mabel's eye and they shared a look of amazement.

"And I thought Gravity Falls was weird..." Dipper muttered to himself.

After a few minutes, they reached a sort of building. Danny landed on the sparse ground outside of it and put the twins down.

"The Ghost Council awaits inside," Skulker said. "Come."

Skulker led the way through the large double doors, with Danny and the twins right behind him. Dipper gasped as they entered the room. It was huge and circular, with screens showing the goings-on of the real world. The strangest things, however, were the inhabitants. Dipper stared at the thousands of identical ghosts in seats lining the room. The were green, with one eye and long robes. They looked like Mike Wazowski, but taller.

"The ghost child wishes to confer with the council," Skulker said formally, gesturing to Danny and moving aside.

"Ah, yes. Danny Phantom." Dipper caught sight of a ghost in the very middle of the chamber. This one was old looking, with blue skin and a scar across one of his red eyes. He wore a purple cloak and held a staff with a clock on it. He looked intimidating, but somehow he didn't seem malicious.

"Hey, Clockwork," Danny said, addressing this ghost.

"Ah!" One of the one-eyed ghosts spoke up before Danny could continue. "You have brought the final humans we need."

"What? No!" Danny said, moving protectively in front of the twins. "I'm here to tell you that you won't be taking them."

Clockwork smiled slightly, but Dipper was the only one who saw. He had been watching Clockwork ever since Danny had spoken to him because he kept changing ages. He went from an old man to a child to middle aged, but as this did not seem to bother anyone else Dipper said nothing about it.

Dipper shook himself and focused on Danny and the rest of the Council. They were glaring at each other.

"This is not your decision, child," A one-eyed ghost said. "We have decreed that we need ten specific humans to prevent the end of reality."

"Woah, woah, woah, the end of reality?" Danny exclaimed. "Who said anything about that?"

"We Observants have seen what is coming to the human world. Destruction and chaos will reign very soon unless we take steps to prevent it. We must-"

Dipper couldn't stay silent any longer. "Wait, how can you know all this? And why do you care about what happens to our world?"

The Observant looked at him sternly. "It is the Council's responsibility to make sure that the Ghost Zone is safe. And as our world is the mirror to yours, the destruction of the Earth would mean the destruction of the Ghost Zone. We do not take this lightly."

"But what about us?" Mabel asked, sounding both scared and indignant. "I mean, I'm all for saving the world, but why do you need us specifically?"

"Because the ancient prophecy foretold the ten symbols of the zodiac needed to defeat the Demon. You are the Shooting Star, are you not? And your brother, the Pine Tree?"

Mabel took a step back, looking shocked.

"Are you talking about Bill?" Dipper asked quickly.

"The demon is known by many names. But yes, we speak of the Cipher."

Dipper, Mabel and Danny looked at each other, confused.

"Council!" Skulker said, speaking up. "I must tell you, the Six-Fingered Hand still eludes me. He does not seem to be in their reality."

The Observants looked at each other in concern. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." Skulker said gravely.

The Observants began to murmur among themselves.Clockwork shot a look at Danny, who seemed to understand something.

"So, you're saying that you're trying to defeat Bill?" Danny interrupted their musings, a slight smile twisting his lips.

Dipper caught on. "Because if you are..."

The Observants stopped talking abruptly, staring at Danny and the twins. "Do you have information on the demon?" The head Observant asked.

Mabel laughed outright. "We have him!" She said.

"You what?" Many Observants looked at each other, astonished.

"We captured Bill Cipher. He's in here," Dipper said, pulling the thermos out of his backpack to general disbelief.

Danny smiled and gave the Observants a sly look. "You shouldn't underestimate humans, you know."

The Observants were silent, staring at the trio. Clockwork decided to step up.

"Well, as the demon is defeated, it seems we no longer need the zodiac. Skulker, you will return the humans to their homes, please."

Skulker nodded stiffly, glared at Danny, and flew off.

Clockwork held a hand out to Dipper. "If you will give me the thermos, child."

Dipper looked nervously at Danny, who gave him a reassuring nod. Dipper handed over the thermos.

"The demon will be confined to his own dimension, but that does not mean he cannot return. You must be diligent. He can only enter your world if he is summoned, so you must be sure not to let that happen."

Dipper and Mabel nodded. "Only a few people know how to summon him," Mabel said. "And they're all either in jail or smart enough to not do it."

Dipper laughed. "Yeah, don't worry."

Clockwork smiled. "Then you may return home, children. Thank you."