Eight

Remember when I said that we were rehearsing for the VMAS? Well, we still are. And we are now.

It's been crazy and none stop work.

"5... 6... 7... 8..." Sean Bankhead, our choreographer, counted down. On the count of 8, the music began, blasting through the overhead speakers of our private dance studio.

For this years VMAS, we were going to perform our newest hit single, That's My Girl. It is on our new album 7/27 but we've never performed it at a show like this before, so this will be our first.

When the music began, I held my microphone in my hand and flicked my other wrist whilst Ally began to lead the song, marking it. When we reached Normani's part, our formation changed and so far, we were doing well with the new choreo.

Then it came to the bridge, the part where Camila and I had to sing together, both standing at the front. It all went well, thankfully.

Once we had run through it twice it was time for a quick break.

"This is gonna be VMazing!" Camila skipped over to Normani, Ally, Dinah and myself. I laughed at the typical Camila joke and she smiled genuinely at me, thankful that I laughed at least.

"Lame joke Camila." Dinah rolled her eyes, taking a quick sip from her water bottle and throwing it back to the floor where she has got it from.

"Nah, it was pretty good." I shot back in Dinah's direction. She just narrowed her eyes at me and brushed me off, "whatever Jauregui. You find anything funny."

"Anything that Camila says is funny to Lauren." Normani said under her breath but I just about heard it. I was about to stab back but Camila beat me too it.

"She's right Lauren." She giggled, patting me playfully on the shoulder as she walked past me to retrieve her phone from her bag. I shook my head, laughing sarcastically to myself.

To be honest, Normani was right.

"I'm giving you a half an hour break girls!" Sean clapped his hands enthusiastically as he went to sit down the wooden studio floor. We all gave out a sigh of relief and walked over to where our bags were, sitting directly next to them and resting for a moment.

"Hey Camz." I smiled as I took my seat next to the Cuban girl. She looked up at me and reciprocated my actions by smiling wholeheartedly.

"Hey." She returned her attention abruptly to her phone that was in her right hand, her water bottle in the other.

I cleared my throat. "Have you, any chance, heard from Austin?" I asked her cautiously. She froze for a brief moment before shaking her head slowly, deciding not to make eye contact with me.

I didn't know whether to be happy or upset for her. Mixed emotions much?

"Oh, I'm sorry." I spoke, my voice low and faking sincerity, to an extent.

She locked her phone suddenly and turned her head to face me.

Only then did I realise how close I was to her.

Her eyes automatically flicked to my lips and I pushed myself away from her so we weren't as close, her eyes also pushing themselves up to my eyes instead.

"It's alright." She smiled sadly. All I could do was nod dryly. I hope she didn't care about Austin too much...

"Mani get off me!" Dinah shouted from across the studio as Normani lay on top of Dinah, Ally filming the two of them with Dinah's phone.

"This is snapchat gold!" Ally yelled, half-laughing as she watched Dinah struggle beneath the older girl.

Camila and I watched the three of them, our faces colouring with immediate smiles as we began to laugh.