Epilogue

~Jasper~

Two days after the dance, Corey and I were prepared to leave. Corey and Lucinda hadn't seen each other since then either - they agreed it'd be easier to just leave their goodbye on a high. I could sense something was wrong with Corey, but how couldn't there be? Leaving was hard on both of us. I just hoped that we would survive the pain together. Just like we promised.

My father stood before me, his shoulders tense and eyes glassed over. I clenched my jaw, refusing to let any tear slip. For twenty years, by Dad had always been there for me. No one else. And to know that I was leaving him hurt... But it hurt more at the thought of letting Corey survive on her own. Dad wrapped his arms around my shoulders in a tight embrace, and finally, we cried.

"Look after her," he pleaded. "Don't take her for granted."

I stiffly nodded, clinging onto his shirt for dear life. "Of course."

"I love you, Jassy," he whispered.

"I love you too," I wheezed out in just barely a breath. We parted away from each other and he gave me a final nod. I turned to Corey who was just as a mess as I was. Dad walked up to her and hugged her as well. I heard parts of their small conversation.

"Look after him, won't you?" Dad begged.

"Of course, Alpha, of course," she promised. I looked around to see if her parents and sister had come to send her off, but of course they hadn't.

That's when I heard a snap and rustle from behind me. I whipped around to see Lucinda lurking in the shadows of the hedge that surrounded my house. Subtly, I gestured for her to come over. She shook her head, with a pained look in her eyes. She pressed a finger against her lips - a sign to stay quiet and not let Corey know of her presence.

I wondered if she'd follow us to wherever Corey and I were going. But I knew she'd stay for her brother and for that hunter guy, Hayden. Lucinda's eyes returned to Corey and I could tell how distraught she was. I never understood the bond between Lucinda and Corey. But I had come to realise its importance to both of them. I walked back over to Corey and my father knowing that Corey and I had to get on the road.

I hugged my father for the last time before I took Corey's hand in my own and lead her to the car.

Driving away was probably the hardest thing to do. But I knew, that in time, Corey and I would return. In time, Lucinda and Corey would be together again.

I knew in time, everything would be okay...

Because it's like playing with fire and ice... eventually, they help each other to become greater and weaker in turn. Eventually, either will burn or freeze... extinguish or melt...

And somehow, Corey and Lucinda had found a balance between the two opposed forces.

Regardless of any law or rule that stated otherwise.