W

Ireland

Neil was in a pickle. Standing there in the pouring rain, he glanced at his watch, showing fifteen minutes to six. He had fifteen minutes to get to Dublin, where his boss would be holding the meeting of the executive board. Dublin was three hours away. He continued walking, his feet pacing back and forth as he thought about the heaps of paperwork he'd have to complete to make up for his absence. The rain squelched and splattered annoyingly on the sidewalk, as if it was accusing him for not being able to make it to the meeting.

As he continued his walk of despair, something glimmering on his left stopped him in his tracks. A lone street post emanates an eerie glow, as if beckoning him to come closer. 'Shortcut Trip on Whitewash Lane' It read. Niel has heard about the infamous shortcut lane before. Rumor said it can take anyone to the place they desired in a few minutes, but people who come out of the lanes were never the same. Now Niel was many things, but he wasn't brave. When he was little his mother had to drag him to his own room after having him sneak in her room in fear of the dark, so naturally he'd be creeped out by a road with a description so mysterious. But he looked at his watch again. 15 minutes, and he gave in. "Screw all those theories, I'm going in. Lets hope this few minutes crap really works." He mumbled as he approached the desolate street.

Niel rushed through the deserted lane, occasionally muttering a few profanities and "I'm so late"s. Out in the distance, he can make out bright lights. Dublin. His heart soared as he picked up his pace, his head shaking in delight. The shortcut really worked!

"Exc-excuse me," a voice stopped him in his tracks. To his right, he saw a frail old woman with all bone and no meat. She held out a trembling hand to him. "Wou-would you happen t-to have some spare ch-change, kind sir?" She stuttered out. Now under normal circumstances, Niel would help, but he only had less than 10 minutes, and the insurmountable heap of paperwork and endless rants from his boss entered his thoughts, the consequences of him not making it in time. He made his decision. He'd help the woman on the way home. "So sorry mam, I'm really in a rush. I'm late to my meeting." With that he started to take another step, but stopped when he realized his feet weren't touching the ground anymore.

He turned around and saw the old woman morphing into a gigantic monster. A scepter materialized in her grasp. She laughed. Her laugh was mocking. "Foolish! Every single one of you humans! All you care about is yourselves, always me this me that! Well since you like being late so much, how about being late for the rest of your pathetic life!" With that, a wand appeared at the tip of her hand, and she pointed it at Niel. Niel was shocked and paralyzed with fear as a blinding white light jot out and shooted him square in the chest. Everything wentblack.

Niel woke up to an unusual twitching on his right ear. He lifted his hand up to scratch it, only to realize they became paws. He scampered (wait, scampered?) to a lake nearby. He took a look and saw a fuzzy whiteness staring back at him, with long ears and two protruding teeth. In the background, the enchantress laughed.

"Well then run along, little bunny! Wonderland's waiting for you!" With that, Niel took out his pocketwatch. It's half past six. He was late. "I'm late! I'm late!" He squeaked as he scampered on.

In the background, the Enchantress removed the hood shielding her face. Her eyes turned back to normal. "Read your pocketwatch Niel, you shall be on time." She whispered.