Hey Drake

'“… Where your real friends at? We don't like to do too much explaining, story stay the same through the money and the fame… Cause we-,” raps Lachlan filling fries.

“Started from the bottom now we're here,” I blast, whilst scrubbing the stainless steel bench tops.

“Started from the bottom now my whole team fucking here,” Goes Ryan, restocking the cups and lids station.

“Started from the bottom now we're here,” Starts Izaac, cleaning back area.

“Started from the bottom now the whole team here, nigga,” yells Kyara, while filling out some paperwork

“Started from the bottom now we-,” I start again, before being cut off by the beeping of my headset of a car pulling into the drive through. “Welcome to McDonalds, place your order when you’re ready,” I say sweetly, pausing from rapping to Started From The Bottom, by Drake, and walking back to booth to put the order through. It’s a completely dead Wednesday night and here I am on a midnight shift. Luckily though, I’m working with a whole heap of my friends who are all chill and together we shall get through it.

There’s Lachlan, who’s been with me for most of my shifts since orientation, Ryan, another guy from swimming in Lachlan’s year level and I working in front area. Then there’s Izaac – James’ twin and one of the boys from the black five - working back area and my favourite manager Kyara who can also do back area on the off chance that it actually gets busy.

It’s currently 10.13pm and all the ten o’clock finishers have just left, leaving us to pretend to clean and restock which is code for waste time and talk about pointless shit. And to think, I could be at home doing my assignments. That I haven’t even started yet. Oopsie.

“Dude this guy is so fucking stoned,” I say over the intercom to Ryan who’s wearing the other headset after I cash the order. The headsets are perhaps the most fun part of work. I mean, we can talk to each other from wherever we are. Even if you’re in the stock cage, you can still have company in front area.

“Oh man you should’ve seen this one guy last week, it was legit like ten times worse,” he replies. Ryan’s a deece guy; he’s totally chilled and fairly attractive. His girlfriend also works here too and they are the cutest couple. “Come back up front now, we’re bored.”

It’s been another half an hour. We are still just wandering around doing useless jobs. There are pretty much no customers, and if there is, they drive through since front counter is closed. “Ok screw this kids. There’s nothing left to do so let’s just chill until you all have to leave. I’m doing overnight so I’ll do whatever’s left then,” says Kyara. Her and Ryan then pick up a spare bun and walk into dining room to use it as a hacky sack blasting up the music as they go. Izaac then stops what he’s doing and walks over to join them.

“Do you realize that we have worked here for over two months now?” says Lachlan, propping himself up on a bench and lying down.

“It’s so chilled here man, I love it. You’re going to the meet this weekend, right?” I ask.

“Sure am chico. Do you reckon Mr Carmichael’s going to be pissed that we are out this late? Especially before the meet?” he ponders.

“Eh his rules only apply when we have training the next morning. I specifically did extra gym on Tuesday because I knew that I’d be working tonight and not able to train in the morning without breaking his rules,” I reply.

“Man, you sure can be smart sometimes can’t you,” he says.

“What can I say?” I smirk. Beep, beep. “Hold up I’ve got a car. Yo Izaac come make some burgers,” I call out, walking up to booth and taking the order. “Welcome to McDonald’s, place your order when you’re ready.”