Chapter 3

*updated

Under Estefani's bed sheets, she could hear the ringing of her house phone echoing throughout the corridor. Liam kept barking for her to answer the phone. Estefani didn't move.

"Please leave a message after the beep. I will return your call as soon as I can," said the voicemail.

"Hey, it's me. I wanted to know how you're doing. Since it's the first time you have called in sick. Don't know if you being sick has anything to do with meeting Eleanor. I hope she didn't offend you in any way. If that's not the case, then I hope you get better soon," said William leaving a voicemail.

Liam jumped on the bed and tried to take off the bed sheets off Estefani's face.

"Liam. Stop," she said angrily as the sheets uncovered her face.

Estefani's eyes were puffy. She had been crying ever since she got back from San Jose. She looked at Liam and said, "I'm sorry I was angry at you. It's not your fault."

She hugged him and stroked his hair. "To think when I got out of Eleanor Software that I would get a phone call from William."

She got up and started walking over to the kitchen to feed Liam. "I mean, I know what I have is a crush, but I'm still in shock. He never mentioned a fiancée or a girlfriend, so I always thought he was single. Guess I was wrong, huh, Liam?"

She looked over her shoulder at Liam but he just gave her a blank stare, and she couldn't help but smile. "I'm talking to a dog about my feelings. I really must be crazy. Oh, well. What can you do?"

After feeding Liam, she grabbed a bowl of cereal and poured milk in it and started to eat. "Miss Evans is William's fiancée; who would have known? Well, me wanting to date William is a no-go. I guess we'll just be friends. How unfortunate."

Estefani looked at the time on the microwave; she was having breakfast when it was already past lunchtime.

"Is it that late already? Wow, I really must have cried my eyes out."

She washed the dishes, and for the rest of the day, she drew. When it was time to sleep, Estefani was still awake in bed. For the first time, she was having trouble sleeping. She heard the toilet flushing and she shook. Suddenly, the bathroom door opened on its own accord and Estefani opened her eyes slightly to get a glimpse. All she could see was a tall dark figure and it was coming closer. Why was Liam not barking at this intruder? She thought.

"Isla, I wish I could take away your pain. Unfortunately, I can't do much for you since I'm not supposed to transform in front of you," said the figure as he started to stroke her hair.

Estefani opened her eyes to look at the stranger right in front of her. He had husky-colored eyes, pale skin, and his platinum blond hair was combed over.

"Who are y..." was all she could say before she fell asleep.

The next day, she remembered she had a weird dream but couldn't remember what exactly the dream was. Estefani woke up and did her usual routine, which started by going to the kitchen to give Liam his food. While he was eating she went to lay out her clothes for the day. The outfit she chose was a black short sleeve blouse with a Peter Pan collar and black slacks, then hopped into the shower.

She looked at herself in the mirror after her shower and sighed.

"I guess today will be a glasses kinda day," she said as she opened the door at the bottom of the sink and took out her nerdy crimson Wayfarer glasses. She had forgotten to order her contact lenses.

She looked at her long black hair and decided to straighten it. As she got ready, she turned on the speakers to listen to some Spanish music. Looking at her bedroom clock, it was already time for her to leave and she had yet to have breakfast. She quickly made a phone call to a Mexican café and ordered a champurrado.