Chapter 14

Tris:

I've gotten to the point where I'm staring at the television, but lost in thought.

Where has Tobias been? And why won't he tell me? Does he not trust me? Does he not think that I'm capable enough to handle it? Am I not supposed to know? Does he want me to just forget about it?

I won't. I hope he knows that I'm not going to sleep tonight without knowing where he was. I'm not trying to stalk him. I just want to know what he has been up to. For all I know, he could be seeing another girl, or have been chased up here by a pack if wolves. My theories are a little over dramatic, but I'm just curious.

He turns over and looks me in the eyes. I hold his glance for a while, neither one of us breaking the silence. I get lost in his eyes easily. In the few moments he lets me look at him like this, I see all the parts of him, good and bad. I see his kindness, secrets, vulnerability, pain, love, and perfection. Their deep blue color sends me to places I could only imagine.

"Can I talk to you about something?" he asks.

"Sure," I say. I drop our hold and turn off the tv.

"I love you, Tris," he says.

"I love you too. Tobias," I say. "But you already know that."

"No, I mean that I really love you."

"I'm crazy about you too," I say. "I'm a little confused right now. Why are you saying this?"

He smiles. "So that what I'm about to say doesn't sound as crazy at it could."

Now I'm really confused. What is he doing? He tells me that he loves me and then he says that he's about to do something crazy. Is he going to tell me that there's another girl? Is it someone I know? Well, whoever this mystery girl is, she's going to have to fight me for Tobias.

He reaches into his back pocket. Is he going to show me a picture of this girl? If he is, then I probably don't know her. He wouldn't feel the need to show me what she looks like if I already. But he doesn't pull out a picture. He pulls out a box. A small box that's black velvet and about the perfect size to hold a- . I freeze.

The box is the perfect size to hold a ring.

My ring.

He looks at me with kind eyes. The same ones that make me melt into a puddle whenever I look into them. The same ones that looked me right in the face and confessed their love for me that night in the chasm. The same ones that saved my life many, uncountable, times. The same ones that bought us this apartment to share. The same ones that said they loved me a thousand times. The same ones that are longing for my reaction right now.

He opens the box, but my eyes stayed locked on his. "Will you marry me, Tris?"