Chapter 15

Tris:

I stare in shock at Tobias. He just asked me the exact opposite of what I thought he was going to. Instead of telling me that he was in love with another girl, he proposed!

Am I actually excited about this? I mean, I knew that our relationship was becoming more and more serious, but I didn't think he would ask me to marry him! Part of me wants to say yes a million times. But the other part, the logical part, wants to say no. We've only been together for a year, maybe less. We're putting too much pressure on this relationship. If we get married right now, we'll probably regret it later on in life. We're just teenagers! We're not thinking as clearly as we could later on.

He stares at me, waiting for an answer. "Tobias," I say, "I love you more than anyone in this world, but I just don't think that it would be right to get married. We're still too young, and I'd rather wait a couple years, when we're more certain about this."

"But, Tris-" he starts.

"No, it's okay," I interrupt. "We don't have to tell anyone and we can still date, right? I still love you. Let's just take things slow, and stay where we are. I try to stay as calm as I can. I don't want to say anything that might upset him.

It doesn't work.

"Tris, you don't understand," he says. He tries to talk calmly, but I can tell it's not going to last. "I can't wait a year, let alone multiple years! I need you now, Tris! I can't just sit around for such a long time, being your boyfriend, when I love you like this!"

He shifts the box to one hand and holds mine with the other. I guess this calms him down. "Everything in our relationship was rushed. We always took the fast lane. But then, when everything starts to slow down, we're afraid to go fast again." I feel tears building up in my eyes.

"Look, Tris, love like this only comes around once in a while. What we have is special." The tears spill over. He reaches out and wipes then off of my cheek with his thumb. "I'm in love with you, and time will never change that. There is not one person that even compares to you. I used to look at other girls, and think that they were special. Until I met you."

My tears cloud my vision. In front of me, I see a blur, and assume it's his face. "You are the most special girl in the world, Tris," he says. "And for how you chose me, I will never know. I just want the whole world to know that you're mine." He smiles at me and I can't help but smile back.

"Now, I'll ask you again," he says. I rub my eyes with my sleeve, and focus on his words. "Beatrice Prior, I have loved you since I first laid eyes on you. There is not a doubt in my mind that I was made to be with anyone but you. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

I take a deep breath. I mumble "Yes" ever so quietly, I'm not even sure that he heard me.

He sighs. "Can you please say it again and at least act like it's not a punishment?"

I can't help but let out a small laugh. "Tobias Eaton, yes, I will marry you."